Canadians that have moved to C.R.

Are there any Ontario residents that have moved to C.R.?  I would like to get more information on the moving costs, was furniture worth moving, etc.

I sent you a PM with some information.  It has some contact information that I did not want to make public.

Nothing is worth moving to CR .nothing but the cloaths on your back.they tax the crap out of all imports.they dont have an income tax here SO !they tax the crap out of everything else.simple ?

Income tax

Income tax (Impuesto de Renta) is levied on both employment source income and non-employment source income.Every individual employed in Costa Rica must pay a monthly withholding tax that is based on his/her salary. Employment income (on a monthly basis) of individuals is subject to a progressive tax of 15%.

For the self-employed, the rates range from 10% to 25%.

Simple?

Gilbertoo, I don't know where you found your info, but it is not correct.

international living

Oh...that explains it  :dumbom:

glad I didn't subscribe!  sorry howardthed

Gilberto,

You are not too far off. As you noted, people need to pay income tax in Costa Rica. Self employed people have to file for taxes every year and indeed there is a sliding scale indicating the percentage people have to pay based on their income.

I plan to move from Ontario this summer/fall, depends on when the house sells. I have bought a 40' container because I have large shop equipment, lots of hand tools and antique furniture , house building supplies that are not available in CR. Otherwise I would not be shipping anything. If you are retiring and  just looking at furiture, appliences and the like, best buy it there, new or used. there are Americans leaving all the time and they sell everything when they leave.
If you plan to ship a container and have found a shipper, let me know. I still have not covered that base.
You will need a long form birth certificate and a criminal record sheck that is recent. That has to be done through the RCMP and not OPP.If you have kids going, well thats more paperwork, best email me .I have a bell account so you will know the last part after the @.:       xeniamd@*********.ca
Donald

According to what I have read there are building supplies that are not permitted to be shipped/imported so check before you ship. Antique furniture may not like the climate or the insects.
You will have to pay duty on your 'personal' shipping container and it will possibly end up costing more than using a regular shipper with their own containers.
CIF (Cost + Insurance + Freight) plus the transportation of it to where you want to have it delivered,  is what you will pay on both goods and container.

Many Canadians are also leaving Costa Rica as are other 'ex-pats', so not just Americans.

Anyone planning a move to CR:  I would recommend that you not ship anything until you've been here "at least" one year.  I have lived here for five years and almost all of the Gringos that moved to this area have returned to their home countries.  It's is cost prohibitive to ship anything back.
I don't know how factual it was, but what I read is that 50% of the Gringos that move here return in the first year.  Of those remaining, 70% return within the next three years.  From what I have witnessed, I would say the figures are pretty accurate. 
Adjusting to life here is very difficult for most.  It's not something that can be described, you have to experience it.  If you don't assimilate, and most don't, you won't make it.
For shipping I would recommend shippingcr.com.  I used them to ship a 40' container.   I still use them for shipping packages every month.  Very happy with them and do trust them.  Others I know were also happy with them.
If you have tools you plan to use here - SHIP THEM!  Tools here are crap and very, very expensive.  It's cheaper to buy them in the States and ship them here.
- Dave

P.S.  Shipping containers are based on a flat rate.  There are no "additional" fees/taxes, etc.  You can ship pretty much anything you want.  The shipper will explain this to you.  Too many opinions on here from people who do not live here and have not shipped here.  And you all know what they say about opinions....  :D   Of course most of what "I" have written is also "my" opinion, hmmm.

ExpatDave, this 'flat rate' doesn't apply if you are providing your 'own container though, does it?

There are also food items that are not permitted, so again check with the shipper.

Just to make sure of what I was talking about, I spoke with the shipper and he did confirm for me:

Yes, they do charge a flat rate if you own your own container. 

The rate you get from them is from your location directly to your door in CR.  All fees, taxes, import crap, etc., etc. IS included.  When I checked on rates when I shipped my container I found some that were A LOT cheaper.  Needless to say, there is a reason.  The cheap ones do not clear customs for you and do not deliver.  If it's too cheap there is a reason.  Unless you are "fluent," in Spanish, it will not be possible for you to clear customs on your own.  Even if you are fluent, you will pay fees that are not necessary.  This is very common here.

Again, it's hard to explain how things work here.  Cost Rica is NOTHING like the U.S. or Canada, everything works differently here.  You cannot assume that because a government official tells you something that this is the way it will be.  Not only in shipping but in all legal/technical areas, you need a professional you can trust to conduct transactions.  Use a shipping company that you have spoken with others about that has actually used them.  I paid more with shippingcr.com and KNOW I got what I paid for.  NO hassle and everything came directly to my doorstep.

Shipping from Canada to here will be expensive.  You will have to determine if it's worth it. 

As to shipping your own container.  You will need to provide the CSC plate number and the certification that it is sea worthy.  When speaking with the shipper he told me that on many occasions he's had customers call with their own containers that were unaware that they were unable to get the sea worthy certification.

Food - you can ship pretty much anything you want.  You just have to tell the shipper exactly what you're shipping.

Thanks for the clarification, especially regarding that you require certification on a container that it is 'sea worthy'! We used a well recommended shipper and had no surprises...or complaints.

Thanks for the information.  I see you are in the San Ramon area which is where I would like to stay there for a month.  Can you tell me something about the area and if there are any rentals.