Moving to Riyadh in August

Hi,

I've been reading all those posting and it's been great to know on the sharing & good informations. Now it's my turn to ask for advices. I've been offered job with overall package of SAR 31k. Can I survive with wife, 4 yr son, 2 yr daughter & new born? What type of housing can I afford for? We're covered for medical, school fee of SAR 10k per kid. How much would schooling cost? Most important, how much can I save per month?

Thank you in advance :)

Hi and welcome to Expat.com eagleseye9!

I hope you will obtain some useful advices from other members soon ;)

Regards
Armand

NO! and don't sign that contract.  That equates to $8200 per year for a family of 4.  Not sure what field you are in, but you really need to do your homework.  KSA is not an inexpensive place to live and you will have difficulties on that salary.  Best of luck!

Regards,

CAF,

My package of SAR 31k is per month, if it's not sufficient then its really sound scary.

Please advice.

Thank you

OK, then thats way better.  You scared me!    A 3bd villa on a compound is going to cost you up to 170 - 250+K.  Off compound is far cheaper.  Just depends on what you want.  But you should be fine...  Who are you going to work for?  Feel free to PM if you prefer not to put that here.

Regards,

Thanks CAF, its relief for me to know that.

Hi There!! my husband has a job offer in Riyadh, we are a family of 4, my kids are 4 and 6 years old.
The expat package inlude accomodation, schooling,medical and I think transportation. Is u$ 5000 good salary? can we save?
I also want to know if do I have to wear abaya outside the compaound andcover my hair and face? can i talk on the phone/cel while on the street?can i take pictures? can i ask for directions to people on the street? my daughter loves pink,shiny clothes and shoes,she love to sing justin bieber songs, will be a problem if she sing o were those colors outside compound? anyway any info regarding everyday life will be helpful!

Limer - Welcome to the Forum!  Your avatar shows you are a man, yet you speak like the woman of the family.  Please correct if necessary...  :huh:

Your salary sounds fine since you said that all of the other requirements are taken care of.  Be sure that you have the required allowances to get into housing on a compound or you may find yourself very lonely in an apartment or private villa.  If you've read through the topics, you will get a feel for what is necessary for housing, school tuition or daycare, transportation, and healthcare, etc. 

Yes, as a woman, you would be required to wear the abaya anytime you are off the compound or outside your apartment, if you end up living locally.  Covering your face and your hair is not necessary unless you are approached by the Religious police, but carrying a head scarf is always a good idea. 

Your daughter can sing to her hearts content and they have large malls that sell everything you can think of, even pink, shiny clothes and shoes!   

You can take pictures of the area but I would caution against taking pics of the locals unless you ask.  Asking for directions is easy as everyone here is very friendly.

The local customs take some getting use to, but life here is great!  You will enjoy yourself if you get involved in your community and stay busy. 

Best of luck!

Regards,

Thank u very much!! yes im a women, so im the one who is more concern about life, my husband will work long hours so im the one who is in charge of the rest. I just consider to move if the housing is in a compound.So u are saying that if im outside the compound an not cover my hair and face, the police could have a problem, or maybe is better say i will have a problem? Also, as long accomodation, schooling, ect is cover by the company, the salary offer will be good and also save?
Thank u very much to take the time to answer!!

Limer

Yes, you could have some difficulties if you dont cover your hair, but the likelihood of that happening is very slim.  BUT, we all bring a scarf to cover just in case...  The salary is only as good as you believe it to be.   Would it be enough if you lived where you are combined with all of the allowances that you will receive? 

Best of luck with your decision!

Regards,

Thank u!