Need your help in evaluation of the job offer - Salary package etc

Dear Friends,

I will appreciate your help in evaluation of the following job offer:

Position – Steel trading manager
Net salary (take home) - £60,000 p/a for a start.

My background:
Experience – around 5 years in the steel industry + 3 years in shipping
Education – Masters degree

Is this a decent salary for me, my wife and five-month old son?
It seems that I will be the only breadwinner for the nearest years as my wife will be devoted to the parenting of our baby.

Company office is situated at the intersection of the Gracechurch str and Lombard str.
Could you recommend us some boroughs for a living?

Our preferences are:
-    clean, safe and friendly place with lots of parks
-    affordable rent
-    great transportation links
-    good variety of supermarkets and decent shopping
-    good variety of cafes, pubs and some entertainment venues  (ideally)

What will be the approximate rent for the furnished two bedroom apartment in this borough?

As I have no relocation experience I will appreciate your advices on health care insurance and relocation package as well.

Thank you in advance of your assistance!
All the best!

P.S.
JFYG
Presently we are in Ukraine.

With kind regards,
Anton

Hi and welcome on board Anton!

I hope other members will be able to help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi firstly 60k net is equal to 92k gross - it makes a big difference! If your take home pay after income tax and national insurance is 5k per month for your role sounds about right as management salary.

London is very expensive and average rents for 2 bed is 2k per month see rentright.co.uk/london/2_rrpi.aspx    I would strongly suggest you ask your company for a housing allowance although you may be including that.

The cheapest place to live is east London where a small 2 bed flat costs 1k Inc council tax if near a tube Council tax is paid by the tenant and is high.Rents rise 19.1% in London in 2010 and are expected to go up 10% this year btw so it's getting pricier!

To meet your requirements means paying above that say 2.5k a month. So now you can see why I ask is your salary really 60k gross or net. Where to live comes down to taste as well but north or west London is prob where you will end up. East is cheap but for a reason. South has no tube but cheaper generally. Your work place is well connected but commute times are high in London as the transport system is so old and rundown. Wimbledon is one possibility but expensive now, the bakerloo and jubilee line out north west has lots of suburbs and north on the northern line. East on the central line isn't really cheap anymore and to cut costs lots of people travel on trains long distances. Your question is too vast so I suggest you ask your company to put you up in a hotel or service apartment for upto a month while you look.

PS if you mean 60,000 pa before tax that is take home of approximate 3,450 per month. So you see why rents of 2,000 plus plus (then add council tax of 100+ per month then utilities which are sky high now) mean 60k salary is subsistence salary (no savings) and therefore a low salary

refugee2011 wrote:

Dear Friends,

I will appreciate your help in evaluation of the following job offer:

Position – Steel trading manager
Net salary (take home) - £60,000 p/a for a start.

My background:
Experience – around 5 years in the steel industry + 3 years in shipping
Education – Masters degree

Is this a decent salary for me, my wife and five-month old son?
It seems that I will be the only breadwinner for the nearest years as my wife will be devoted to the parenting of our baby.

Company office is situated at the intersection of the Gracechurch str and Lombard str.
Could you recommend us some boroughs for a living?

Our preferences are:
-    clean, safe and friendly place with lots of parks
-    affordable rent
-    great transportation links
-    good variety of supermarkets and decent shopping
-    good variety of cafes, pubs and some entertainment venues  (ideally)

What will be the approximate rent for the furnished two bedroom apartment in this borough?

As I have no relocation experience I will appreciate your advices on health care insurance and relocation package as well.

Thank you in advance of your assistance!
All the best!

P.S.
JFYG
Presently we are in Ukraine.

With kind regards,
Anton

Yes, London is expensive, but £60k is a good salary!