Non-hotel license? Any info?

Hi I'm joanna from England and my husband and I own a villa here in Koh Samui. The villa is on a private gated estate . We rent our villa out and have done so occasionally for the last year. It's 3bed with a pool.  We have been told that we need a “non-hotel” license to now legally do this at the cost of 200,000 THB. This is a large sum and I've googled it and simple cannot find any info about this. The office in our gated community have told us this and the property will be inspected too! Anyone heard of this? Thank you in advance

I have never heard of a non-hotel license but I'm not a lawyer.

If your gated community has set of bylaws you might check for restriction on renting your property.

A single house certainly does not violate Hotel Act but then again I'm not a lawyer.

Not sure anything in Foreign Business Act is being violated by renting out your house but then again I'm not a lawyer.

Now we get to the House and Land Tax Act.  You could owe local taxes but I do not think a local license is required for your purpose but once again I'm not a lawyer.

See the following link for more detailed info:

https://www.duensingkippen.com/thailand … log/?p=222

I would first ask community office which specific Thailand Act you are in violation.

Once you have detailed facts from office I would seek advice from lawyer.

Seems to be 2 threads on this SD...I suggested it might be they are renting it for short stays/weekends or whatever which I believe is illegal. There was a lot of talk about this and airbnb mentioned by some news outlets.

Seems you can rent monthly but not daily and if you own more than 5 condos/apartments you can now only take 1 months security deposit and the tenant only need give 1 months notice.

Like you I'm not a lawyer and whether these laws are being enforced in Bangkok I doubt but in smaller places where it is easier for the authorities to check it might be

I'm legal Consult in Thailand, I never heard of a non-hotel license before ,except home stay license is pending now.

But about your "rent" the villa it not your duty to pay anything especially license, except it write on your contract.

you should be careful and check it again with your embassy or the agency you trust.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct