Tiny House in Thailand

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.
I am thinking of moving to Thailand in the future and I would like to ask you what your thoughts are on tiny houses there.
I found out that non foreign can own Thai land, I was thinking of building a house on wheels, maybe rent land, if the land is claimed I will still have my house.

Do you know if it is there any law or regulation against that?

Only concern i would have is you will need a work permit to work on the house.  Im thinking of doing this myself , could get away with it depending on location . If its on wheels you risk it being stolen and you would definately need aircon in it . What type of visa are you expecting to get ?
Terry

Interesting idea for Thailand. Essentially you're talking mobile home or trailer. I personally am not aware that Thai's have dealt with this concept. They may have in terms of a travel van, but not a trailer or mobile home.  Just my two cents. But if you were building it or supervising the building the Thai government would have to stick their nose into the project.

Why tiny?
Why not rent?

I've never seen a mobile home or camper in Thailand during my 13 years here, doesn't seem like a very good idea. If you know how to look, you can find a nice rental for a very small amount of money or a super nice place for 1/4 what you'd pay in the states, so why bother with buying?  True, you cannot own a house, but you can own the land it sits on and get a legally binding document that it can't be sold out from under you and indeed you can resell it later, seen it done often, just use the right attorney to make up the papers. Personally, I find buying too inconvenient, you have to front a lot of money and the risk is high that you can lose it, though resellers usually come out well in this economy.  Rent is very modest and you can change residence without a lot of hassle.  My advice, come to Thailand, rent a small place which is easy to do, make changes once you get on to how things work.

"True, you cannot own a house, but you can own the land"

Sorry but you have that backwards.  You can own the house but not the land.

If someone is new here, just rent until you get your bearings.

Excuse me but for clarification purposes, I think you have an idea backwards - cusanus. I believe that a foreigner can not own land in Thailand. A foreigner can own a house within a Moo Ban where ownership of the property is at least 51% Thai. Or a condo where the land is owned by Thai's.

Rent could run anywhere from 5 k - 65 k baht per month, depending upon your budget and life style. You can find a very nice place for 10 k - 20 k baht a month.

Back to the home on wheels - there is the issue of utility hook ups!

Maybe VF will wake up and give us some clarification here.

Thanks for replying, not sure about visa yet, why you think I should register the tiny house as I work in it? I am sure there will be a way to avoid being stolen.

You wont get a visa to allow you to work , build or anything related to this house , mobile or otherwise.

Camper vans are becoming popular in thailand , get yourself a thzi driving licence , insurance and buy or rent a camper.

At that time, I would like to find someone who can build it forme, (I do not have the required skills) of course paid.

First of all, the information you have is not correct. The best thing to do is live here first, adjust to the culture, learn the Thai ways. You must be careful here, because money rules here, but it must be done legally, often promises are made, documents are signed but it's not legal. A great example of the law in Thailand is what happen to all the condos & businesses in Pataya that were torn down by the government because they were owned by expats. The condos got resold for 1/2 the original price. You need to be married to a Thai person to own property in Thailand. The government is not flexible about there laws, in my opinion it is best to just rent in Thailand & if it doesn't work out then you move to another place. I own a condo with my Thai wife, but if something should happen to my Thai wife, I would be able to life in the home till I day, but I would not be able to sell it, because I don't really own it. Because of this we put the condo in my wife's nephews name who we can trust. He will take care of us when we get older. My advice is take one day at a time. I am moving into a Tiny House in California this summer, we will be renting from a good friend. We will be 6 months there with 6 months in Thailand. Good Luck to You.

That is not true , foreigners can own condos in their own name , i did for 15 years until i sold it, there was never any problems .  And ther was never any businesses or condos torn down in pattaya because they eere owned by foreigners . That is an untrue and absurd comment to make.  If you put a condo in a thais name that was your choice . You did not have to . You have no right to live there and you have no claim to it.  If you really believe the information you have been given then you are being scammed.

That is not true , foreigners can own condos in their own name , i did for 15 years until i sold it, there was never any problems .  And ther was never any businesses or condos torn down in pattaya because they eere owned by foreigners . That is an untrue and absurd comment to make.  If you put a condo in a thais name that was your choice . You did not have to . You have no right to live there and you have no claim to it.  If you really believe the information you have been given then you are being scammed.

Actually there are some mobile homes on Koh Samui! Looks like a mini trailer park lol

Have you considered buying a container home? I've seen them for sale for as little as 300,000 thai baht.

I am also very interested in building (buying) a tiny house on wheels here in Thailand. The only professional builder I found here was http://tinyhousethailand.weebly.com. Still waiting for an answer......
Any suggestions???

@Ezequ1el

did you ever go ahead with your tiny house plans in Thailand? just saw your post! im currently building 2 tinies on Koh Samui with a builder and architect.

Hi, yes I did. I built my Tiny House on wheels near Pattaya and towed it down to Phuket. I have been living in it for more than 3 1/2 years now and love it. Good luck with your project. Will you be living in one yourself?

@jo.loit   Hello.  is it posable to see pictures of your tiny house.  my wife and I lived in one for 10 years in California USA .   i could  never find Tiny Houses builders in Thailand.   Patrick

@Buddahen  Hello. I would love to see some pictures of your tiny houses & the cost for building them.  Thank You.    Patrick

@Buddahen  Hello. I would love to see some pictures of your tiny houses & the cost for building them.  Thank You.    Patrick         -@thailand4me

Hi Patrick, I will gladly send you a link to my Youtube video. Nothing special, but I hope you will get an idea of how we live here. The cost of building my THOW was about $25,000. Since I built the house all by myself, I did not have any labour costs.

youtu.be/fJViEUzX2WY 😊

@jo.loit  Thank You for answering my request.  But I can't open the UTube video.    Patrick

The entire real estate market for tourists or expats is always overpriced, there are resources that collect offers for renting apartments and houses at local prices, such as this one https://rentoplan.com

@max2228

Thanks for the link, it looks interesting. I was Just wondering if you have ever used this website? I ask because I'm looking to do a 3 month Pattaya rental in

December and I expect they will want a deposit to take it off the market. Bit wary of paying a deposit and the agent disappearing.

@NHANORAK I used to rent in Ho Chi Minh City

@thailand4me

https://youtu.be/fJViEUzX2WY

Please let me know where you would like to live, I can guide you on finding houses. But, if you want to live here permanently, you will need permanent accommodation and a mobile home isn't considered as such. But, depending on where you plan to live, there are plenty of good rental units.

@Terrymedlicott

there may be some restrictions to the number of foreigners that can own a high rise complex of condo's eg: 70% to be Thai

but your comment about farangs owning condo I believe is right

I was involved with a Friend who had a 'House and Garden stunning house in Bangkok but when he tried to sell it was hopeless He found no pro activity from Thailand sales staff

If you read 'STICKMAN' he advocates never to buy and only rent especially due to the resell values

@info3098

@info3098

The percentage you are referring too is 51% Thai

Reselling depends on the price you paid for the house

Luxury build is not more than 40,000 thb per m2, google it.

Villages/Moo Baan developed by foreign owners and offering leasehold for foreigners cost way more than that

On surfradio HuaHIn I heard a developer mention the same thing you heard from Stickman..... reselling is difficult

Houses in his developments are 15 mio thb and up, EU prices I would say, 3 br and kitchen

Not far away I had a house built, 4 bedroom, 2 kitchen and a fitness, plus a 60m2 porch enclosed with mosquito mesh and on 2 rai of land

Luxury finishing, sourced and purchased ourselves. western kitchen, built in convection, microwave and gas cooking and no tiles other than in bathroom.

4.5 mio thb.......I think you can guess where the other 10 mio from the developer went to....

And that is the only reason why his houses do not resell properly........they start way to high.

Anyway back to subject. If you can find land, either through lease or ownership (Thai wife etc) there are few restrictions for building what you want

BUT.... if you need an address and tabien baan for VISA or other purposes you need to have drawings, permits etc.

Tiny houses or containers houses are put/built on a slab of concrete.... and you are done