The pet culture in England

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in England just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in England by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in England? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

In places like Cambridge, it is very hard to find accommodation that will allow pets. If you have more than one, that can be even harder. I do not suggest seeing houses and then bringing up the pets later especially when the ad says no pets. Cambridge landlords can choose to be picky because the rental market is in their favour.

In my opinion, the British treat their dogs better than Americans because they walk them regularly. Americans are more likely to just put the dog outside and occasionally walk them.

Dogs are allowed many places and you will often see dogs of the leads on public footpaths.

Another thing you will need to get used to is that a lot of cats in England are outdoors cats. We let our cats out and they go on their routines and they come home. Do not always assume that they are lost, even if they do not have a collar. My cat, Ruddles, has lost several collars so we gave up putting one on him. If you do think a cat is lost, take them to a vet and they can scan the microchip and return it to them to their owner.

Also you are not responsible for what your cat does when it is not on your property. The Animal Act of 1971 excluded cats when it stated that owners are responsible for their cat when not on their property and are free to roam. So I suggest to others to teach your children not to approach an animal without the okay of the owner. If you have cats that frequent your yard, you can take steps to deter them with tips from the RSPB.