Parnell or Howick??

We are coming to live in the Auckland region for nine months beginning August 2011.  Our kids have been accepted into Parnell and Howick primaries so we're down to those two choices.  Any thoughts as to which of the two areas would be more fun for kids and adults during our stay??  Thanks in advance.

Howick is more of a village with excellent  shops  and schools together with a lovely beach that is safe and picturesque.  For younger children this is a winner, there is a large South African population.  Parnell on the other hand is yuppie expensive and really good if you like the coffee club lifestyle, closer to Auckland than Howick.  Both are really good areas however, the difference if old money (Howick) and yuppie money (Parnell).

Welcome to Expat-blog wellmana! :)

Hi there,

I have to agree with Cinnie - Parnell is lovely and close to Auckland City, but busy and expensive. Howick is fantastic for young families (I grew up here in Howick)and has a slower pace. It really depends on what your family wants! If you want more information about what's available in Howick, feel free to get in touch! :)

Natalie.

Welcome to Expat-blog Natalie! :)

hi well mama,
i vouch for parnell ..its is a posh neighbourhood..close to downtown,harbour, the sky tower,theaters,karaoke bars,queen street(the busiest street in NZ) ,auckland hospital,even the good schools..
the weekend market in parnell is nice n this cafe called  la cigale..which serves awesome rotisserie chicken n french food..
last but not the least the spectacular fireworks on newyears ..hope u have fun:D

Parnell, Howick is "south auckland"

I agree.

Parnell definately in terms of a quality area. I grew up round that area and yes it has gone quite chic and yes it is quite expensive.

Depends what you really want however Parnell is very close to the harbour and the city and in Auckland thats a really nice thing to have.