Auckland Advice

Hi All, I'm about to make the big move from the UK to Auckland and before I fully commit, I'm in need of a little advice. Can anybody please advise on the safest and nicest districts to live in Auckland with quality schooling for my 2 Daughters aged 11 & 7. My Job is to be based in Mount Wellington so ideally I would like to stay south of the bridge and as close to the beach as possible, St Helier area looks ideal. 2nd piece of advice is my salary is to be $75000pa, I know this isn't a great wage and my wife will have to seek work as well. again would this salary be adequate to live on in Auckland (not the cheapest city in the world I believe). We are a Family of 4 with two young girls aged 11 & 7.
Appreciate your comments and advice.
Regards
Mark

Hello Mark, congratulations on your potential  move. We have also made the move ourselves from Norfolk UK with 3 children and have been in Auckland for just 10 days! Rent and food is excruciatingly expensive here though we've diacovered you can actually negotiate the rent too. Food from farmers markets is in season and at a reasonable price.
Where to stay... Mount Wellington is nice - viewed 2 houses there. 5 bedrooms and the rent for 5 beds was mostly between $800 and $950 a week. If you're going smaller so a 3 bed then rents will be a lot lower. Have a look on trademe.co.nz as almost all rentals are listed there.
Houses closer to the beach and with views also command a premuim price. My only advice, live as close as you can to work. Most of the landlords seem amenable to sunletting amd most houses come with a downstairs bedroom so it might be a consideration.
My husband works at the CBD and we have decided to stay in North Shore for several reasons. Proximity to the beach and bigger houses being one of the reasons. Plus the bus takes him 40 mins door to door which is shorter than our UK commute time.
Rentals - compared to the UK, most of the houses are dire. They have small and I mean small gardens, most have also not been updated. You'll need to carefully check the house has a heat pump otherwise you'll be dealing with mould and damp plus the cost of running a dehumidifier.
Long essay sorry! Any questions, please ask

For cost of living try this website  www.numbeo.com
Auckland is prohibitively expensive.

Thankyou both for the advice, can you again advise as to whether $75000 would be adequate until my wife finds work  (Hairdresser) . however she will only be able to work part time as we will have no childcare to drop and collect the children.

It will be adequate depending on where you live. We have done a budget based on one salary for all our needs including rent, transport, childcare etc.

Is salary before or after tax ??

Hi, and thanks for your response. This is before Tax.

Your annual take home pay after tax will be $58,287.50c.
Tax is 22.8%. The website to check these figures www.paye.net.nz

You may well find it a struggle to get by in Auckland.  Rent will take near half of your weekly salary.

Calculate expenditure by using www.numbeo.com for living costs.

Careful budgeting will help you.

Hi,
I moved over from london in 2014 initially to Wellington, but due to cost of living, which is possible still lower than Auckland, I moved over to Hamilton. I am a dad looking after 3 kids on my own, on a salary of 95k and trust me, I still struggle at times. 75k is really pushing it especially for Auckland