Argentine Organic Farming?

Hi there! Does anyone know of any organic farming taking place near or in Buenos Aires?

Topic has been moved on the Buenos Aires forum.

I don't understand what organic farming is in Argentina. They don't use pesticides and most stuff you get is natural, better tasting and spoils quicker. If I am missing something please tell me the difference. Going to have to start a new post about the milk and milk products now.

They donŽt actually do a lot of organic farming here, but the do use a lot less pesticides than most northern hemisphere countries as Amelia pointed out.  However, I would have to differ with the idea that most of the stuff you get here is natural as Argentina has one of the largest genetically modified organisms programs in the world. I would not consider food crops that have been genetically altered and/or engineered to be natural.

First of all I need to say that was my post not Amelia's. I was on her computer reading and forgot it was her logged in. Sorry.
Didn't realize that Argentina genetically modifies so much. Doesn't seem like it because most of the stuff we get doesn't look all that great, but has nice flavour. Maybe they modify the taste rather that the look??? If I compare Florida oranges to the ones here, the Florida oranges look perfect, but aren't often great where Argentine oranges don't look that good, but are generally quite nice. But my only research has been eating:)

Speaking of organic, we are considering a move to Argentina. Are there organic markets such as Whole foods in the USA? maybe a dumb question but, as a point of reference I used Whole Foods.

In my reading regarding GMO agriculture, it seems that most of the crops that are genetically engineered are mostly in the grain catagory, like corn, wheat, rice, canola, and soy.  These are heavily GMO in the United States, where I live (CA).  Oranges, tomatoes, carrots, lettece, and most other produce are, thankfully, not currently GMO.  There are a lot of recent studies that bring to light how harmful GM practices are, to animals, all other non GMO plants, and humans.  Search Mercola.com and you will find a lot of material regarding recent studies. 

I am very sorry to hear that Argentina has so embraced GMO.  I had heard otherwise.  I am interested in buying a very small farm or land parcel in the Mendoza region.  It would be great to speak to someone in that general vicinity who is a small farmer.  Also, it would be so helpful to know anything about day to day life and the culture in this country.  I plan on moving there in September.  Thanks for reading!

Thanks thesaltysea for your info. It's an interesting world when your eyes get opened! Or maybe when you just decide to look;)

Thanks for your post, TWL.  Where in Florida did you live?  I used to live in Tavernier, in the Fl.Keys.  How long have you lived in BA?  Do you like it...do you intend to stay?  Is the cost of living really that much lower than the USA? (My version of 20 questions...hee hee :) Thanks!

Haven't lived in Florida, just ate the oranges. Been there a bunch of times though! I was in BsAs for 3 months before Christmas and returned Feb. 2nd and haven't moved out yet. How long I intend to stay depends on my websites. I will eventually go back to teaching in Toronto, but for now just continuing to develop these sites.
The cost of living depends on what part of the States you are comparing BsAs to and what items really. Bit complicated, but I find it much cheaper than Toronto. It suits my lifestyle better.

Hi thesaltysea,

I think that you should create a new topic concerning the cost of living in Buenos Aires on the Buenos Aires forum.

Thank you for your comprehension. :)

Best regards,
Harmonie.