Is 55K dkk a good salary for Arhus?

Hi all,

My family and I are considering moving to Arhus for work. The salary offered is 55,000DKK per month, plus pension scheme (4% employee, 8% employer). Is this a good salary to support a family of 4, (considering that my wife will have no income for the first little while) - for housing, schooling/daycare, monthly living expenses, vacations, etc.?

Are there monthly child benefits to be considered, like those we have in Canada?

Thanks in advance!

55 K is a good pay (much above the average) in Denmark. The pension scheme is OK.

We have child benefits, but only for EU-citizens and a few more. As a Canadian citizen you'll not be entitled to this.

If we say the yearly income is 660,000 kroner, you settle in Aarhus, your wife doesn't work, the tax 2019 will be 244.906,72 kroner.

Housing is a difficult issue, so do ask the employer to help you to find a flat or a house.

A rough estimate: Rent 12,000 kroner, utilities 3,000 kroner, household 5,000 kroner, kindergarten ? https://aarhus.dk/english/living-in-aarhus/
The rate depends on the age of the children. I hope above link will answer your question, but else you're welcome back.

/Nellie

Thank you very much Nellie, this was a very useful insight!

Regarding the rent costs, I read that most contracts require 3-month deposit as well as 3-month downpayment. Is this a general rule? I just want to make sure that I'm ready for these upfront costs.

Also, about the car insurance in Denmark, what is it like? I know that there are many variables to the insurance cost, but I'd like to understand the price range, if possible.

/Kostya

I shall not say whether the most common is to require a 3-month deposit and a 3-month rent in advance. However, it's the maximum what the landlord is allowed to claim so I guess it will be the conditions.
http://www.boligportal.dk/info/boligudl … depositum/

I hope that you can find out to use these comparison guide. It's in Danish (so it always is in Denmark why I'll recommend you to learn the language as soon as possible)
http://forsikringsguiden.dk/#!/
The prices depend on where you settle, the family member's age and so on. I suggest to you that you find a random address from Google maps and  put into the form to get an idea of the price level. Some insurance companies have a better service (:compensation) than others if an accident happens why it isn't always an advantage to choose the cheapest one. You'll always welcome to send me a private message.

Do ask the company for as much assistance as you can, e.g. if it will offer you an outlay for payment of the deposit and prepaid rent.

You'll always welcome to send me a private message if you want me to elaborate on some of the issues, and you don't want to write more personal issues on the open forum.

The economy guide lines I gave you in my first answer is of course a rough estimate, and you may be lucky to spend less on the overhead expenses. On the other hand, I think you won't find yourself in the opposite situation.

/Nellie