Moving to Denmark

Hi!
We are a family, 2 adult and 2 preschool children moving to Copenhagen.
Only my husband will be working. His salery will be 50000DK per month. Is this enough for living (renting a property, food and other expenses)
Does anybody know is it hard to get a job if I don't speak Danish. I'm pharmacist.
Do I have to pay for a healthcare, if I'm not working?
Thank you

Hi and welcome on board marv!

I hope other members will be able to help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Mary,

50,000 should be plenty to keep you comfortable. Of course depends on where you are living and the cost of your apartment or house.

If your husband has a work permit and you are an EU citizen, you can look for work. If you are from outside the EU, you can read more about it at fyidenmark.com/working_in_denmark.html.

There is a lot of general information and you also want to make sure that your credentials and degrees are accepted in Denmark. There is link on the page to an organization that can verify that for you.

It is always best to get everything ready before you arrive in Denmark.

If I answer any other questions, just ask. Always glad to help new expats adapt to Denmark. It can sometimes be hard to know where to go and what to do when you first arrive in a new land.

Charlie

Unfortunately I have to say that 50k DKK/month could be pretty tight for Copenhagen. I have read that the average taxation for a Dane is 57% of the salary, this is why some foreigners are entitled for a 25% special tax rate for the first 3years. Income taxes are just the beginning, VAT is 25%, and, just to mention one, there is a tax on vehicles that is 180% (OMG!)of the vehicle retail price; so you pay for a car 3 times the price that you would pay in any other country.

A decent apartment in Copenhagen center could be anything above 12000DKK.

Healthcare and education is free tho, but just like in many other European countries.

I have moved here just because of the special 25% tax rate and a competitive salary, but if would never have considered this country if I was meant to pay the same taxes that Danes pay.

Hope this helps

Hey,

I am a Dane and I just want to make a correction.
We only pay 45% in taxes and you can earn every month 3800 kr without paying taxes. If you are paying of a car, apartment or house this amount without taxes will rise.

Camilla

Camilla, thank you for your answer. I've already tought, that we will have to starve in Denmark. Neptunium's post really scared me. :unsure
So if I understood you correct, we will have to pay 45% tax of an income and if we pay for a house rental the taxation will be lower.
Thank you. MARV