What's your $ Budget to live in Thailand ?

So I just returned from another visit this time 6 weeks , Pattaya ,Chanthaburi ,  Hua Hin & Cha am .
Now given I was in Holiday mode and spent more $ than I had intended its made me re think about how much I need to live quite well there .
I spoke with quite a few Expats there but only a couple re there budget .

Any chance I  get a few more idea's of more peoples budget ?
I'm thinking  I may need 100,000 baht a month ?

Cheers

toohp wrote:

So I just returned from another visit this time 6 weeks , Pattaya ,Chanthaburi ,  Hua Hin & Cha am. Now given I was in Holiday mode and spent more $ than I had intended its made me re think about how much I need to live quite well there. I spoke with quite a few Expats there but only a couple re there budget. Any chance I  get a few more idea's of more peoples budget? I'm thinking  I may need 100,000 baht a month? Cheers

Everyone's lifestyle & incomes are different. You did say to "live quite well" right? Some people's definition of "living quite well" is different than others. Some will tell you they can live good on 30k THB while others do not have a budget and spend what they want. Keep in mind, you are required to have at least 65,000 per mth or 800k THB in bank account to qualify for a retirement visa. I would think you could live good on 100k per mth. You will get a wide variety of opinions, some apples to oranges, so you just need to sort thru them and use your best judgement. It really depends on YOUR lifestyle, not anyone else's. Just some examples of expenses you may have; (rent, electric, water, phone, internet, cable TV, groceries, yearly visa renewals, healthcare, travel & the big one, entertainment). Kindly...

If you want to reduce the cost of living in THAILAND. I have accommodation and cars for you to rent , reasonable price.

I used to rent an apartment at rat Burana (Ivy Condo) where I stayed two months (but could have stayed over a year) for 12,500 Bahts a month. Add to this 250 Bahts for food a day.
Electricity was 700 Bahts, water 300. That sums up to 21K Bahts a months.

Now add rice cooker, transportation within BKK, trips to xxx.

toohp wrote:

So I just returned from another visit this time 6 weeks, Pattaya, Chanthaburi, Hua Hin & Cha am. Now given I was in Holiday mode and spent more $ than I had intended its made me re think about how much I need to live quite well there. I spoke with quite a few Expats there but only a couple re there budget. Any chance I get a few more idea's of more peoples budget? I'm thinking  I may need 100,000 baht a month? Cheers

I live quite well on about 100,000 THB per month for my rent, water, electric, TruVision, AIS service, groceries, eating out and other routine expenses. You can live very well on that much...

Other added costs; medical & life insurance premiums, yearly visa renewal, 1-month trip home to USA (flights, hotels & rental cars), 2 trips out-of-country to Japan/Europe and 2 to 3 trips inside of Thailand (Koh Samui, Krabi and/or Chiang Rai) which adds about $30,000 USD more to my yearly expenses.

Then, there are the monies I give to my Thai wife & her family and to my kids & grandkids in the USA which I prefer to keep private... Life in retirement and in Thailand is wonderful...

Very good honest reply, to live a normal life. I have just came back from a months stay in Chiang Mai. I do not lead a lavish life style and believe I can live there for under 30000 baht a month. I have just received my retirement visa from the Thai Embassy and leave Australia on the 19th November. I have not had the amount of my pension confirmed, I do know it will concede 40000 baht.

Yes , i think my lifestyle would end up somewhere between 50 - 100, 000 baht a month i feel .
Im about to go back again to see .

toohp wrote:

Yes , i think my lifestyle would end up somewhere between 50 - 100, 000 baht a month i feel. Im about to go back again to see.

Just keep in mind, if your budget is only ~ 50,000 THB, then you don't meet the requirements for a retirement visa unless you have other monies in Thai bank. Also, let's say for example you're a single man paying rent for a condo like my good friend who's been here for 9 years and you only have about 30k left after paying the rent, that really isn't very much money for everything else like water, electric, TruVision, AIS, groceries, eating out, haircuts, taxis, trips, massages, beer, nightlife & companionship. Now, if you never take any trips and you don't need a nice fitness center or a swimming pool and you only watch local Thai channels and you go to the coffee shop to use internet for free and you don't eat out very much (except for street food) and you don't live in the best area of Bangkok and you don't need lady companionship, then you can get by on much less. but, for me, that's not living a very nice life. It really depends on your lifestyle and the reasons you are here. Are you here to enjoy & have fun or to live here on a shoestring budget. A budget of 100,000 THB for monthly expenses allows me to live very nice lifestyle and I don't ever feel like I need to watch what I spend. It's your life and you can only do what you can afford to do, so enjoy the best you can on your budget... Kindly

Hi Barry, I will also be in Chaian Mai mid November, There is a possibility That I may be in Chiang Rai. Don't know what contact numbers I will have. My email should remain the same ; ***  Would like to meet up with expats and get their views on moving to Thailand, especially Chaing Mai. This is a fact finding mission for me. Hope I can catch up with you or any other expats that may have read this reply. Many thanks, take care, Brian.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security

Oppps, please pardon my spelling of Chiang Mai. No one would believe that I taught English in China for 3 years, Ha ha ha, take care, Brian  :D:D:D

Hello,  I will be in Surin in January next year and looking to rent a house/condo and to rent a car.  Do you have further details,
Thank you,
ALF

alfredkenny wrote:

Hello,  I will be in Surin in January next year and looking to rent a house/condo and to rent a car.  Do you have further details,
Thank you,
ALF

Who are you responding to? Further details about what? If you want to correspond with someone you can click on their name and send them a private message. Kindly...

it all expenive everywhere now