Single mother wanting to move to thailand

im a single mother of two, looking to relocate to thailand.  teaching job.  will it be viablew for me to move my family? quality of life??
what are the school fees at the international schools?

Chantelle,

The people here in Bangkok is very very nice.It all depends on how you treat them.If you will going to work in internatinal school as teacher you don't have to pay for your childs education. Your kids will be free from any financial liabilities as most of the international schools offers free education in their employee. [email protected]

all the best,
Chris

Dear Christian

Thank you for your reply.  However, I will be working at a public school, which i understand is mostly taught in Thai.

Check the links below for help in answering your question.

http://bangkoktimesonline.com/en/articl … s-thailandhttp://www.thailandguru.com/internation … ngkok.html

Thats fine, If you want I can help you just email me I will send you the link which school is hiring...

You can post questions at www.thaivisa.com.  Also,"viability" is a subjective determination.  There are some important caveats.

Hey.and welcome. in here is have many choice of your life and your kids.

thank you treedboy, I am very excited for the move

thank you Christian, I will keep in touch

Hi there
I would like to know if it is possible to survive financially in Thailand as a single parent with a 1 child if your salary is your only source of income?

Thank you

JacquelineSR wrote:

Hi there
I would like to know if it is possible to survive financially in Thailand as a single parent with a 1 child if your salary is your only source of income?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum

This will depend on how much you are earning, what your lifestyle is like, where you intend to live,  cost of living regarding rent, food, power, phone, water, transport, medical insurance, schooling etc.
Do you have a job, a visa and work permit ?? Need these to live and work in Thailand. 

For cost of living www.numbeo.com

I will a job visa work permit when I come over but before that I need to assess if it is possible to earn enough as a single parent. I have worked and lived in Thailand before but with a partner. I am looking at living outside Chang Mai somewhere or in Vientiane. I know creche/ nanny costs are quite high which is my main worry.

What qualifications do you have, how much experience and what is your field of expertise.

This will determine if there is work for you and your earning capacity. There are many jobs that westerners are not permitted to do. 

To get a visa and work permit you will have to have a job offer first and the employer should take care of the visa costs.

So until you can tell us what your earnings will be it is difficult to say whether you can earn enough as a single parent so that you can survive. As a single parent there is schooling and babysitter costs to consider.

Try this website to see if you can get a ballpark figure for potential earnings. www.payscale.com

Vientiane will be difficult for you to find work in and costs are higher here overall than Thailand.

In most cases the teacher's salary is about 30K baht per month. It is quite enough to survive for a single person. But if you have a child just keep in mind, that international school (bilingual) normally cost about  200K+ baht per year. Depending on what region you live at. Chiang Mai is about the same level.

Yes  this is my concern......

International school / Daycare (dont know age for kid(s) )
Nanny / living in Nanny.
Driver for kid(s) to go to daycare / school
Visa / Extension for you and your kid(s), Yes if want to follow the law, the kid(s) need Visa / Extension all so.

Insurance for you all.

How much total per year / Month ??

Do you have a good network of people you trust in Thailand ?
If no, what do you do about your kid(s) if you get sick and need to stay 24/7 at a hospital ??
What about your work if your kid(s) get sick and need to be hospital, not sure they let you have time off work and keep paying you ??
Can you and your kid(s) eat Thai food, or do you need to eat / cook western style food (Cost a lot more)
If You plan to stay in Thailand a long time, then maybe private teacher for kid(s) to learn the Thai language.

Do you have enough money to pay you bills for 1-3-6 month, if one day you get fired from work ??
What do you do about Visa / Extension if you get fired from work, normal if they cancel you work permit, you only allow 7 days in Thailand before have to leave country If you on Extension that is.
It can take time to find other work here the pay the same.

If the rule for Ed-Visa / ED-Extension is the same for your kid(s) in University as for language school, the rule change so the student have to leave Thailand once a year for a new "start" ED-Visa, have you check if that need ?
I don´t know if it is same rule for student on University, maybe others here now if this new change is for University all so ?

Sure you want to take kid(s) for vacation every year, here in Thailand or back home to see your family there.

When you put all this together, and some additional money for backup money, for smartphone, laptop and other things kid(s) want, need.
I think you end up with a high payroll / wage for you per month ??

Hope you can use some of my info.

Kindly.

Closed