Retiring in Thailand

Hi

I am considering retiring in Thailand, either in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, and would like to ask for some info I can't seem to find.  These are all expenses I need to get a handle on to see if I can support my self on my stinking little pension.

Based on 2 people monthly, what would I expect to pay for groceries, electricity, water, private health insurance, dining out once or twice a week.

That's all I can think of now.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

Welcome to the forum Ray ;)

I hope that you will get some responses soon ;)

Regards :)

You pose a question that is very difficult to answer because everyone has lifestyle that keeps them happy.

What type food do like eating at home and when dinning out?  If you enjoy Thai food two people can eat out every meal for 300-400 baht a day and some people even less.

Size of living quarters and use of air conditioning will determine electric cost.

Health insurance can run 20k baht a year and up depending on type of insurance you desire.  You can Google search for BUPA Thailand and check their rates.  If one of the people are Thai then they can use 30 Baht card.

Don't forget to consider inflation and currency exchange rate.  I have been here 7 years and US dollar has gone from 44 to 30 baht to the dollar.

Thanks Stray dog

I like Thai food better than English. I also like Indian and most other non-English dishes.  We had considered that we would eat at home most nights. 

Right now, in Perth it costs me $600.00 a month for food.   

A small two bedroom flat with A/C costs $1400.00 per month.

Electricity and gas  is about $180.00 per month. I am not fond of heat. 

Yes, the AUD exchange is about the same.

ATB

Ray

The key to the cost of living in Thailand depends on what you want to pay in rent which is controlled by where and how you want to live.
I live comfortably on less than AU$1000 a month, but I don't pay rent.
I eat a fusion of Thai and foreign foods, and my main bills are internet, satellite TV, utilities and running a car.
I don't drink and rarely have a night out any more.

I have been to Perth several times on business. It is a lovely city!

I live in a Don Mueang apartment that is clean and convenient to shops for food and banking, etc.. Total cost is 4,000 baht or $130 USD. I am happily married to a Thai woman. We don't own transportation. Taxis, motorbikes are easy to hire.

Direct deposit from the US is difficult. I am keeping an account in Hawaii and using my ATM for cash. Looking for other options.

Wil and Jume

Happy new year.

Wow, that sounds cheap.  I have been looking on the web and can't find anything with 2 or more bedrooms for less than $400.00 - $600.00.  Most of these were in Chiang Rai.

Ray, I have lived in Thailand for the last three years. I do own my own house so do not pay rent. I live with a Thai lady and her young niece.

On average we spend 40,000 Baht each month all in which of course does not include rent. Unfortunately exchange rates have nose dived so you need to take this into account in your planning.  I know the Aus Dollar is good at the moment, but think five years on.  Despite what people may tell you Thailand is not cheap if your income comes from outside the country.

We live in Prachuap Khiri Khan which I would say is cheaper than Chiang Mai for example. Here you can get a good rental house or bungalow for 4-6000 Baht a month.

Keeping cool is where I spend most of my 2500 Baht a month on electricity. I run a truck and my niece goes to a private school. Water is cheap but Western foods and alcohol(wine) are not.

We eat out when we fancy and have beautiful beaches that are free.

My blog, Thailand-Blogs, answers most questions you might have about life in Thailand. Or you can ask questions and read about other peoples experiences here at Thai Talk

Rayznel... suggest you make several visits to Thailand and get a feel for life here and meet people, etc... I did.

The north is much different from the south and language can be a big obstacle. There is a lot to learn.

Wil

Thanks for the feedback

Calling retired Aussies.

Can anybody tell me the rules of collecting the OZ aged pension while in Thailand?

Do I have to return to OZ at all and how often, to maintain it?

Does the afed pension decrease over time?