Getting married in Ghana

I would like to know if about the wait time to marry on Ghana. I am coming from US my finance is not from Ghana. But lives in west Africa. It easier to commute to Ghana and less expensive
We plan to wed and wanted to find out if their is wait time before we can marry. We are non Ghanian. I read and see different answers to this question.  Thank you

I just looked at the web page for registrar general's office and that seems to confirm what we did although my husband is Ghanaian.
Go to the office in Accra and complete a form and pay 45 cedis. You need witnesses but you can use people there. Get married the following day. I suggest you bring all the necessary documents like birth certificate, divorce certificate, death certificate if applicable.

I'm in a relationship with a wonderful Ghanaian man. We both want to marry. He is already ready. I need time. I would like a small wedding. Something simple. He keeps saying he just wants a court marriage. He says due to financial reasons. But sometimes I worry that it may be another reason. But I heard a lot of interracial marriages are done by court in Ghana. Is there a reason for this? Is this something I should be worrying about?

You mean you want a wedding in a church? I'm sure you can do that but think you still have to get the certificate from the registry office. My suggestion would be to get married in the registry office and then have a party. A friend of mine did it that way.

I just want a simple reception type wedding by the beach with about 30 people. He just wants it at the courts with a couple people or just even us.

Ok as I said get married in the registry office and then organise an exchange of vows at the beach and you will both be happy. Be suspicious though as it looks like he doesn't want people to know he's getting married - maybe he has a wife already.

Red Flag!!!! Sorry. There might even be a traditional wedded wife. Do  your due diligence. Get to know him, family and friends. Someone is bound to spill the beans.

Looks like he doesn't want people to know he's getting married. It looks suspicious. I'm Ghanaian and I can tell you for a fact that we Ghanaians always like to show off with marriage so we'll go the world's length to invite friends and family, and it's never a great marriage without a great reception or party. Since you said he's a wonderful man, I wouldn't like to draw conclusions but he should be able to give you a TANGIBLE reason. The main reason for secret or unannounced marriages in Ghana is almost always because the man already has a wife or someone. Well there's always an exception. All the best

The "established" Churches are authorised to perform marriages. This includes the Church of Christ (which rather surprised me) and my Ghanaian wife and I have a very official-looking marriage certificate on the official form (sorry to contradict you, hkann).
One of our witnesses was a Ghanaian lawyer friend of mine who was well known in Takoradi (now sadly passed away). I'm sure "Lawyer" would have protested loudly if there had been something "not quite right" about our wedding.
I fully endorse what "trinilovewesley" says: Ghanaians are not prone to hiding their "big" events: engagement, marriage, "out-dooring" (newly born babies) and Christenings (don't get me started on funerals).
dd3uk's advice is sound

I didn't actually say you couldn't get married in a church just that the certificate might have to come from the registrar. Seems like you have to be careful and make sure the church and the pastor are licensed to perform weddings

hkann,
yes, I know you didn't ;-)
I just wanted to make it clear that Abena and I didn't go to the registry office at all, and, as a matter of fact, not to any Church either! The (then) Church of Christ pastor in Cape Coast  came to Abena's aunt's house with all the paperwork and left us with a fine-fine green-and-white certificate. As I said, my friend Supi was a lawyer all his working life, and I doubt he would have signed as a witness if there had been anything "not quite right" about it. There were also 30 - 40 other people there, having a great time!
P. S. I'd add a photo of the osofo filling out the certificate, but I can't figure out how to give the photo an URL, which the app seems to want

Apparently there are some churches that have the authorization to issue marriage certificates under the Ghana government but NOT all established churches in Ghana. These authorized churches may still ask the couple to be to go and register or take a license from the metropolitan assembly (from court) before the marriage (this license is valid for 3 months... during which the marriage must be done). I think Rod's said church had the authorization that's why the said Osofo (Pastor) had access to the necessary paperwork. However if the church doesn't have the authorization, then the couple first goes through with the court wedding (this is the recognized marriage under the law) before proceeding with the church marriage (just a necessity or formality for Ghanaians😁). I hope this clarifies things☺😉

thank you, trinilovewesley, for your evidently authoritative clarification  :)

🙊🙊🙊🙈🙈🙈... Rod, now I feel ashamed and embarrassed, sorry if I stepped on some toes :(

tw: certainly not on mine  :D  - I meant what I wrote, sorry if it reads as being sarcastic.

The point was to advise AverageGirl and I feel that, together, we have done that.
This said, it was probably dd3uk's advice that was most pertinent to AverageGirl, who, by the way, has gone quiet and I'm kinda curious to know how things worked out ...

:D:D:D

I get it now🙈

I am grateful for all your responses. Since I have come back to my home country I have been watching. There has been some change in his behaviour. He says he is always busy and our normal 5-6 days a week video calling has dropped to once every second or third day. He says he is saving money to come to me next year but I'm starting to feel a disconnect. So I am glad that I stood my ground and told him I wanted to wait. Good things come to those that wait

thanks for the update, AverageGirl.
Good to hear your caution is benefiting you

Where is the registry office in Accra?

I just asked the taxi driver and he knew no problems

The registry office is in the Registrar General's department in the ministries area of Accra. It is a building to the rear of the car park.

Thank you hkann