Retiring in Ghana

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Ghana? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Ghana (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Ghana's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Ghana?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I retired to Ghana. I have been here 7 years now. I retired here to join my Ghanaian husband.
If you are going to retire then you need to be in good health as the health care system is not the best. It is also quite expensive for medication and doctors/hospital visits.
I can't have my pension paid here but have maintained my British accounts and it is paid in the UK.
It isn't cheap to live here so you need a reasonable monthly income. We have our own house but buying property hére is a minefield. Renting isn't cheap unless you are prepared to live outside Accra and then you need transport. Driving is very tiring but OK once you get used to it and know the routes.
Not sure how you get a resident's permit if you come alone. I got one as a Ghanaian spouse and after 5 years qualified for permanent residency.
I live here because I like the lifestyle and feel it is better than it would be in the UK but I have lived abroad for over 30 years.
Think very carefully before you make the move. Come here and live for a few months to find out if it suits you and you can cope with the lifestyle. Come in the dry season as the heat can be difficult as you get older.
I love Ghana and am very happy with my life here.

Hi Priscilla,

I don't doubt for one minute that I'm atypical, but my story may be of interest all the same.
I chose Ghana because I have had a very strong affinity with Ghana ever since I worked here in 1967 - 1970. The advantages compared to my home country are more than evident: I need not here dilate on the many deficiencies of my home country, suffice it to say they have been considerably exacerbated in the last year or so.
I am not fully retired - a part-time translator if you will - and my customers are all in Germany (CET/CEST), so Ghana, on GMT, is ideal from that point of view. That and excellent internet coverage.
I can also get my hands on my paltry pensions (UK, Germany and France) here.
I'm still on tourist visas, but I'm getting closer and closer to permanent residence, which will make things a bit easier.
Healthcare is good in Ghana, the professionals I have dealt with were just that: professionals. I pay as I go, and I find it's cheaper that way than paying for health insurance I don't need. But to be fair I must say I am insured in France (thanks to my French pension) and I have had major stuff, e.g. two artificial hips, done there.
Tips for other retirees? If it's your first time in Ghana, you need to think carefully about it and in any case make visits - and I'm not talking about 2 - 3 weeks as a tourist, I'm talking about 2 - 3 months, "on the economy", as Americans living and working in Germany used to say.
There are many things to get used to and a Ghanaian partner is a good way to make a start (including by getting used to a Ghanaian partner).
The whole story would fill a book - and probably has done. I found it a great help to learn Twi, for example.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I'm happy to talk about it at any time.
Rod Darby

I am looking forward to my Ghana visit in  hope that it will convince me even further to want to stay forever.  While preparing I am wondering  if I will meet new friends that will show me the ropes so to speak.   I want to injoy my visit but also use it as a fact finding tour.

Lol it’s been interesting reading your post. You couldn’t have summed it up any better.

Rita

Hello Michael,

I’m sure you’ll like it very much in Ghana. I’ll sugg you get in touch with somebody like Rob Darby or make friends, as he suggested and you’ll be just fine. You can also let me know when you’re getting ready to go and I can help find people to take you around. I’m back in America for some time.

Rita

Hi. I'm sure you will find lots of people eager to show you round but take things slowly and think very carefully before you commit to anything as there are so many scams regarding accommodation.
Hope you will be connected with other Expats who have made the move and enjoy living here

Thank You for taking the time to reply to my request.  I continue to plan and will contact you again if I need further advice, which I know I will.  I wait and plan with anticipation!!  Peace and Blessings