Language barriers in Romania

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Romania.

What is the official language in Romania, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Romania and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Romania on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello it depends where you are going in Romania but the young Generation speaks English but most of them don't.you will have to learn Romanian language for you to be able to communicate with the locals and taxi drivers for example.

Hello folks. I have been here for almost 4yrs and still have problems  learning this language. Although I find tons of people  who do speak English it's the folks 50 and above  that do not.i get by just fine here.i an a quite  person who doesn't generally  talk to anyone I prefer it that way.i use uber for taxi  they all speak English.cant stand the city taxi  the drivers are old and corrupt. I know tons of words.from all the vegetables to all the niceties to meet someone. You won't believe how many Americans and Irish folks here .I work at an hotel and 90% of the guests are English so I an satisfied  .