Language barriers in France

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in France.

What is the official language in France, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in France and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in France on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Till 1 year ago I have no problem to speak only English and Dutch, but now I need a job becomes an other case and I have to find the fastest way to learn better French. I like to hear suggestions.

If you're planning on living in France, then absolutely, you need to make learning French a high priority. You need a certain level for each step of immigration, ending at B1 for naturalization (but certainly higher for work, and full integration).
Meanwhile, here's a post I wrote for my nephew and new wife, who knew zero French, coming on their honeymoon :-)
http://slowtravelin.blogspot.com/2018/0 … eaker.html
Julie

Hi Jullie,

I'm kind of in the same situation, we are moving to Nice next week and my wife knows only basic French. She needs to get better in her French as she will need to get a job asap, we both speak perfectly English and I speak fluently French so there is no problem when she is around me.

Do you have any advice or can you help on that?

Thanking you.
Sam

Some French speak some English and like to demonstrate that, but I can't imagine living here without learning the language. Expecting fo live in a country without trying to learn the language is an arrogant, egotistical and disrespectful attitude in any case, and will certainly not win you any friends. Take courses and study, read and speak and listen and ask for help!  Try!!!  People will appreciate your effort.  There are various techniques including courses you can buy and use at home. People's learning styles vary, look around if the first one doesn't work. There are oodles of language schools too. Seek out exchanges, all the young people want to speak English, it is cool. Courtesy hints: even if the house is on fire and a dozen people are near death, you have to say "Bonjour" always. Like always. "Bon appetit" when you see someone eating is greatly appreciated. "Merci, c'est gentil" for just about everything is important too. "Apres vous" or "je passe devant" at the door  is normal, they make a deal of it. "Bonne journee" or "bonne soiree" at the end of a conversation is courteous and common, even the cashiers say it. Good luck!

Couldn't agree more. It is rude and arrogant to simply stick to English. Mind you that is why there are British 'enclaves'. They feel secure and have no need to learn the language.

I have also found that many people, whilst appearing to be ignorant are in fact very shy and feel embarrassed by their lack of French. No real answer to that one other than learning some French!

I will never forget a brief conversation I had one day with a French man in the Cevennes, at St Hippolyte le Fort, concerning some English people who lived near by. He said that they stuck to themselves and that this hurt the feelings of the locals. This is not good. Timidity generally goes hand in hand with pride and fear. Overcome your fear, put aside your pride, and try to communicate! It will be appreciated. They don't expect perfection - their English is not so great either - but only a polite effort. Please make it!

Jeanfinney,
Last April I visited France for the first time. What I learned from "Rosetta Stone" was in valuable.
A combination of bonjour, mercí, Je suis désolé, mon premieré visite, ou sa trouve opened up a lot of doors! I found the French people to be some of the nicest,  kindest, helpful people I've met. I'm taking french 101 at the local college and heading back Dec 1 to look for an apartment!

Wow you got lucky - with the people....where were you? Regions vary....I think I like the worse....

I was in Bretagne- St. Malo, Dinan, and Dol de Bretagne. Beautiful!