Paying money for breaking a contract in China

Hi!

I received a job offer from a school and the contract says that if I do not give a notice three months before I leave then I have to pay 30,000 RMB.  Is that normal?   It seems like a lot of the money to pay if you break a contract...

Thanks!

This is China. The company can put anything in the contract they want. If you sign it, you need to agree to it.

This is not the UK. Contracts are considered to be more like "guidelines" rather than hard rules.

DO NOT GO TO CHINA, if you are not willing to work out the length of your contract. PERIOD.

Just some friendly words of advice.

Under China's labor laws, you do not need to pay the money if you want you leave. But, in fact, if your earlier leave has given any damage to the employer, you should pay the damage. In  my eye, the damage should be the expense if the employer hire another teacher.

I would also like to add the following consideration...

In matters regarding a Chinese national, and a foreigner, the Judge will typically rule in favor of China and the Chinese national.

Typically, if you break a contract, you will lose your pay for the last month when you worked. If you were making 30,000 RMB/month then this would be in alignment with standard business practices.

I am a Chinese, been working in Shanghai for 3 years. And I have never heard any similar contract rules like yours. I suggest that if you have any doubts you should negotiate with the company. Normally we would inform the company to leave one month in advance if we want to leave early.

I quite agree with shaymok. VANNROX , the Chinese courts don't discriminate against any foreigner. I, as a senior lawyer,  have handled a lot of cases involved foreigner and forerign enterprise, it is my first time to hear that. I admit that Chinese legal system isn't perfect like European or US and has a long way to go, but it is ok.

@gzlawyer. I would guess that you are correct. i was only repeating unsubstantiated hearsay that is probably decades old.

lol, I am local lawyer, so I have the first-hand experience.