Overstayed and desperately want to return. help appreciated

Hi,
i am from the uk.. this is my first post.
to begin, i travelled to ecuador at the end of november last year 2017...i am in a relationship with an ecuadorian citizen..while i was in ecuador.. in guayaquil, we were both robbed at gun point...losing quite a bit of money.. also i was ill periodacly..i had no idea about the overstay rules and i stayed until end of april this year 2018..my partner , took me to an immigracion office in guayaquil and we were informed that i need pay 136 dollars or not return for a year..but at the time i was thinking.. i may not be back next year anyway..as im currently trying to organise a uk visa for my partner..this was perhaps a month before i returned to uk..then when i came to the airport at quito.. i was stalled by the immigracion people.. for this reason.. and was delayed quite a time..i explained to her that i was told to pay 136 dollars... she demanded 700... or i dont return until 2020..i was in need to catch my flight ..and so she asked me to sign some declaration.. attesting to me agreeing to this..which i did as i could see no way out of the situation.. i now regret it..as i do want to go over to ecuador again perhaps for christmas and i just cant afford to pay out 700 dollars right now...i did write to the uk consulate about 2 months ago, but no reply..anyone see a way around this for me? i would be very grateful..

Your complicatedsituation might be able to be resolved quickly by using the services of an ecuadorian attorney who specializes in immigration and visa matters.

Trying to solve this case by DIY will be a trip down the rabbit hole. Attorneys are well connected to the correct officials and understand intimately how the system works. Doing this on your own might take you till Christmas 2021 to straighten it out

I would just add to lebowski's good advice - it is probably already past the point where resolution of your problem would have been relatively cheap - as it would have been had you paid the $136 USD when dunned.  I think you'll be very lucky if you can get away with only $700 USD at this point, to either or both an immigration attorney and the immigration authorities.

I realize hindsight is always 20/20 but hopefully your troubles might serve as a cautionary tale to others - don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today, especially if you're talking about following immigration laws in a foreign country.  It keeps you out of trouble to know and follow the laws of foreign countries when you are subject to their jurisdiction.

And surely if you have enough money to contemplate a Christmas trip to Ecuador from the UK, you could also find the money to make that trip legally?

The amount of money involved is not nearly enough to get yourself involved with an Ecuadorian lawyer. Take me seriously.

If you know people in Ecuador and can find a good/honest lawyer, that might be the way to go.  Negotiate the legal cost.  Sometimes a lawyer is needed to resolve issues more quickly.   I don't know in your situation.
Good luck.

Robin

well my partner trained as a lawyer..he is from ecuador.. and still there at the moment..i should see if he knows anyone .. only my partner did not get his certificate, as was over 400 dollars.. i wonder what would happen if i just turned up at quito?

no, not quite as simple as that. though.