Type of visa to get married in Ecuador

Hello everyone, I don't know if someone can help me. My boyfriend lives in USA and we are planning he applies for a Ecuadorian visa to come here to my city and get married here in Ecuador, but I'm just wondering with type of visa he needs. We know is a 12 visa but I don't know which one, as there are like 10 cateogiers of 12 visa, which one is the best for getting married here? Does anyone know? Because I think is between 12 X or 12-IX

Hi Kcharloth,

Please feel free to have a look at this link : https://www.expat.com/en/guide/south-am … ador.html, it might help you.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hello everyone, I don't know if someone can help me. My boyfriend lives in USA and we are planning he applies for a Ecuadorian visa to come here to my city and get married here in Ecuador, but I'm just wondering with type of visa he needs. We know is a 12 visa but I don't know which one, as there are like 10 cateogiers of 12 visa, which one is the best for getting married here? Does anyone know? Because I think is between 12 X or 12-IX

As I alluded to your post in the other thread the issue is the 3 weeks that your boyfriend will be here. So whether it's a 12X, 12IX or even a T-3 his status will be a tourist. Throughout the web in English and Spanish 75 days of continuous stay in Ecuador is a stated requirement if one of the persons getting married is a non-resident.

So do yourself a favor and contact the nearest civil registry and ask for more information and try to request an exemption.

Thank you so much, I already constant the nearest registro civil cause I was worried about the amount of days, but now is not required to be stayed 75 days in the country, so we are fine in that part, the only problem is that we were not sure about the visa. If it's better 12x or 12-IX, that was the only thing that we are concern about, cause they just said a 12 visa

Thank you Kcarloth for replying with updated information which should be helpful for other members.

The 12-X tourism visa is valid for 90 days. Whereas the validity for the 12-IX tourism/trade visa has a maximum validity of 180 days. Some reports are that 12-IX visa is no longer available and replaced with one of the new temporary visas under the new immigration law. So as you can see there is a lot of confusion because of the changes.

Hopefully someone will reply with updated info, but nevertheless the good news is that you are in Ecuador, and with some phone calls or leg work you can get the most up to date information from the authorities.

Have a lovely wedding.

My fiance is an Ecuadorian citizen and we would like to get married in December in Ecuador. I am a US citizen and the plan is to get married in Ecuador and then for me to go back to the US while she and I both finish school in our countries. Having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to  have to get married in December. I will only be there for 10 days before I have to return home. Will I still need a visa? or can I just go as a tourist. I understand the 75 day rule is no longer true but I can't confirm anywhere. Any help/suggestions?

mjsmg wrote:

My fiance is an Ecuadorian citizen and we would like to get married in December in Ecuador. I am a US citizen and the plan is to get married in Ecuador and then for me to go back to the US while she and I both finish school in our countries. Having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to  have to get married in December. I will only be there for 10 days before I have to return home. Will I still need a visa? or can I just go as a tourist. I understand the 75 day rule is no longer true but I can't confirm anywhere. Any help/suggestions?

Hello, Im in a similar situation, did you get new information about it?
Im Ecuadorian and I want to marry a german man, does he needs still to stay 75 days in Ecuador before civil wedding? or can he go as tourist (he is german and lives in Germany) and marry me without the 75 days and the special visa?
If i had the chance I could go and ask in Registro Civil personality, the problem is actually Im not living in Ecuador  but neither in Germany... But next year i must return to Ecuador and we want to marry there but my fiance cant stay for 75 days in Ecuador or he might lose his job.

So please does anyone has more information about this?

Thank you!

So you do not have to stay for any extended time to get married. You need to apply for a 6 month visa (going on a visitors visa won't work) This visa required an FBI background check ( I am a US citizen-sure they have something similar for Germany), This had to be translated into Spanish and had to have an Apostile. You also need 2 passport photos, Proof (a bank statement) showing that you have enough money to support you for 6 months, The bank statement does not have to be translated. And a color copy of my passport. Your passport has to be valid for at least the length of the visa and you need enough pages in the passport to attach the visa and stamp it when you go.
Once you are in Ecuador, you will need to apply for a marriage license. To do that you need 2 more passport pictures, a form from the Consiliari website stating that you have never been married and a certified copy of your birth certificate, Apostiled and translated into Spanish.
Took a lot of work but I think we covered it all. I used an on line translation service called Babble-On
ibabbleon.com/translation.html . They were a bit more expensive then CertifiedTranslate but very quick and efficient.
Good luck

Thank you very much for all the information.

Mercytt wrote:

Thank you very much for all the information.

When it comes to something as important as this, use Expats' experiences and commentary as guidance, not necessarily the final word.

Like many things in Ecuador, rules about getting married change periodically.  Case in point -- the issue of whether you still need to spend 75 days in La República on your nuptial visit.

If money or matrimony are involved and the stakes are high, get an attorney's advice along the way, even if it's email correspondence.

cccmedia

mjsmg wrote:

So you do not have to stay for any extended time to get married. You need to apply for a 6 month visa (going on a visitors visa won't work) This visa required an FBI background check ( I am a US citizen-sure they have something similar for Germany), This had to be translated into Spanish and had to have an Apostile. You also need 2 passport photos, Proof (a bank statement) showing that you have enough money to support you for 6 months, The bank statement does not have to be translated. And a color copy of my passport. Your passport has to be valid for at least the length of the visa and you need enough pages in the passport to attach the visa and stamp it when you go.
Once you are in Ecuador, you will need to apply for a marriage license. To do that you need 2 more passport pictures, a form from the Consiliari website stating that you have never been married and a certified copy of your birth certificate, Apostiled and translated into Spanish.
Took a lot of work but I think we covered it all. I used an on line translation service called Babble-On
ibabbleon.com/translation.html . They were a bit more expensive then CertifiedTranslate but very quick and efficient.
Good luck

For this 6 month visa did you apply for it online?? How much did the visa cost you?

Hello BailCedano,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Since this thread dates back to 2017,  it is not very likely you will get a reply. I would advise you to create your own thread on the Ecuador forum in order to ask questions about this specific subject.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

https://ec.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/