Close

Type of visa to get married in Ecuador

Hello everyone, I don't know if someone can help me. My boyfriend lives in USA and we are planning he applies for a Ecuadorian visa to come here to my city and get married here in Ecuador, but I'm just wondering with type of visa he needs. We know is a 12 visa but I don't know which one, as there are like 10 cateogiers of 12 visa, which one is the best for getting married here? Does anyone know? Because I think is between 12 X or 12-IX

Hi Kcharloth,

Please feel free to have a look at this link : http://www.expat.com/en/guide/south-ame … ador.html, it might help you.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hello everyone, I don't know if someone can help me. My boyfriend lives in USA and we are planning he applies for a Ecuadorian visa to come here to my city and get married here in Ecuador, but I'm just wondering with type of visa he needs. We know is a 12 visa but I don't know which one, as there are like 10 cateogiers of 12 visa, which one is the best for getting married here? Does anyone know? Because I think is between 12 X or 12-IX

As I alluded to your post in the other thread the issue is the 3 weeks that your boyfriend will be here. So whether it’s a 12X, 12IX or even a T-3 his status will be a tourist. Throughout the web in English and Spanish 75 days of continuous stay in Ecuador is a stated requirement if one of the persons getting married is a non-resident.

So do yourself a favor and contact the nearest civil registry and ask for more information and try to request an exemption.

Thank you so much, I already constant the nearest registro civil cause I was worried about the amount of days, but now is not required to be stayed 75 days in the country, so we are fine in that part, the only problem is that we were not sure about the visa. If it's better 12x or 12-IX, that was the only thing that we are concern about, cause they just said a 12 visa

Thank you Kcarloth for replying with updated information which should be helpful for other members.

The 12-X tourism visa is valid for 90 days. Whereas the validity for the 12-IX tourism/trade visa has a maximum validity of 180 days. Some reports are that 12-IX visa is no longer available and replaced with one of the new temporary visas under the new immigration law. So as you can see there is a lot of confusion because of the changes.

Hopefully someone will reply with updated info, but nevertheless the good news is that you are in Ecuador, and with some phone calls or leg work you can get the most up to date information from the authorities.

Have a lovely wedding.

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy stress-free travel to Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador

2 million members!

Watch later