Living with a girl

Hi all!

So I'm going to be living and working an internship in Rabat this summer, and I could use some advice. I will be traveling with another student from my university, and we have been planing on getting an apartment together. She's a girl, and I'm a boy, but I didn't think that would be a problem.

However, some professors here have advised us that landlords and even hotel staff will require that we show a marriage certificate in order to stay together. Is this the case? And if so, do you think it would be possible to either pretend to be siblings, or put together some sort of fake marriage certificate?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Cinnabon

I hope you get right advise on this but faking documents can land you in trouble. Good luck.

Difficult, even impossible only if the girl is Moroccan or looks it. Especially difficult with hotel staff. You need to rent separate rooms.

For apartments, you need to find a landlord who doesn't care, many Europeans own apartments. Of course everybody else will care, the security guard if there's one, the neighbors, etc. North Africans in general spend an inordinate amount of time watching each other and everybody else.

If the girl is "foreign" it's not much of an issue.

Good luck.

I agree with TrappeurSup. If your friend looks local, you can expect intense scrutiny. If your friend doesn't look local, then you should both not deny what people will assume: that you're married. I don't think landlords will ask you for a marriage certificate though. Riyad owners definitely won't, and a riyad won't see you back much more than a hotel during the low season