Would like to know how you protect your self against Malaria

I will be moving to Luanda very soon. I have been informed that Malaria is a major concern. I am not keen to take Malaria medication for a long time so what are the alternatives.
I am really interested to hear how you guys protect your selves against Malaria.
Any info you can offer and experience you have had would be very much appreciated.

Welcome on Expat.com Guinevere ;)

I hope that other members will be able to advise you soon. Personally, I think you shall avoid mosquito bites or mosquito &  make use of mosquito repellent cream. Equip your room with mosquito nets.

Regards

Hey thanks Yud for your reply:) So I am assuming that on the whole people do not take traditional malaria medication, so long as I am careful to use mosquito repellent and nets. Just want to feel confident with my final decision.

I am intersted still to hear of any other alternatives. I heard that vitamin B1 is heplful, anyone heard of that???
What about the good old fashioned gin and tonic! Does that really work??

ha ha ha not really ..........
to protect yourself from malaria
rent a house in a clean surroundings and during your stay here if you have any symptom like fever, bodyache etc etc show immediate to dr and go for test dont take risk. protect your self from mosquito bite thats all. we all are living safely here

Ok, ok, so no excuses for walking around with a glass of gin and tonic the whole time! :(

Very happy to hear it is possible to protect myself without having to take the dreaded medication.

Thanks for your advice, I will be very careful!

:D

IŽve been in Luanda since Jan 2011. All common-sense precautions should be taken - i.e. covering exposed skin areas with appropriate repellent, avoiding unprotected evening excursions, etc.

The duration of Malaria Transmission Season in Luanda city is relatively short - two months, with the first month being April.

Another thing is that most of the inner city are sprayed for mosquitos - it looks like weekly, quite early in the morning - at least thatŽs when IŽve seen them.

bagarwal also has a point and then, nobody has proven that a timely G&T does not help either.

Problem with the medication is that you are either on antibiotics all the time or the other horrible stuff that has a list of side-effects several feet long.

Non of my expat co-workers or myself take any medication.

This is interesting - I was under the impression we had to take medication daily the whole time we're in Luanda. Interesting to know it might not be the case.

In reference to Malaria season, does that mean this would be the only time it would be dangerous or does it mean that this is the worst time?

Hello all. We have been living in Angola in 2008 with a 1 year old kid, plan to go back this year. We did not take any medicine, because it not a good treat to your body especially lever and kidness (what I have heard from doctors in Russia). So the best is to use repeilents in the evening and have nets all over windows and doors, and over the bed. One more important issue when out, mosquitos do not like white clothes, red it somewhere in the article, as well they do not like strong smell from you ( parfumes, body lotions with parfumes).

Thanks Valeria, that's good to know. If you come back to Angola/Luanda this year, get in touch. My partner and I spent 18 months living in Moscow and love St. Petersburgh. Would be good to make Russian friends in Angola.

I read with interest on this subject matter as I have come down with malaria on 6 occasions thus I took the trouble to read up on this subject.

Whatever the case, prevention is the best medicine however, not all the times can we do so.

There are quite a few breeds of mosquitoes that can cause malaria but the more common ones are Anopheles or Aedes in my case. I have stayed in Africa (North, West and now in Angola) for almost 30 years.

I do not really know if the origin of a person or gene in terms of Nationalities (I am Asian) may have different levels of tolerance. In my case, I take medication only when I have already contracted malaria. There are many types of medicines but I have always resorted to Artesunate (full course)and please consult your doctors for medication. I refer to this because I have been prescribed and it worked all the times and sometime, in conjunction with other orthodox medicines.

There is another “herbal medicine” traditionally used in Western part where I used to stay and it was equally helpful, i.e. boiling pineapple skin with plenty of lemon grass. Drink often – makes a nice tea concoction anyway.

By the way, most malaria are contracted during day times than we normally believe; evening.

I also believe that for a foreigner who wants to purchase medication to treat local illness, please do consult the local doctors as they are more experienced in the treatment of endemic illness .e,g, no need for an Alaskan to return home to treat his malaria whilst he could have consulted a local doctor, lolx.

What I have narrated are just my personal experience and by no means are sure cures.

Bottom line, don't be stingy with the repellent, use mosquito nets and thick long sleeves where possible.

I have heard that body stench, alcohol filled body fluid, filthy socks and shoes are invitations for mozzie parties.

Stay healthy.

Please check up this link for more info on mosquitoes and malaria:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito#Natural_predators

Cheers