Expat Contracts for Indian EXPATS

Dear Indian expat,

Hi. I'm a Indian Citizen who is having more than 6 years of experience in South Africa, Congo, Angola & Tanzania. This TOPIC is dedicated to the all the Indian expats (not limited to them only) who is trying a Job here or already having an offer from Employer in Africa.

Following are very IMP points to discuss & know from Employer

1. Try to get reference from someone for the company you are going for
- Salary on monthly basis (Many employers do not pay monthly salaries & they keep your money on hold)
- USD Transfer to India (It cost you to transfer)
- Company reputation
- Work permit (many employer do not make WP & keep rolling to save money)
- Type of accommodation
(They talk good in interview & promise many things but once you are here NOTHING happens same way)

2. Take CONTRACT in writing (these are MUST)
- Basic family medical (Med. treatments are expensive here)
- Company vehicle
- Child schooling
- Paid house expenses(Electricity+Water charges)
- Yearly Paid leave + paid family travel to India

3. Work profile (In here Nothing is fixed , they will ask you to do anything !- BEWARE), you can not change a job in abroad as its ban by law here, so they use this as a weapon against you

4. Working hrs (Many companies work for 12-15 hrs, no time limits, even Sunday & holidays are working days!, I worked same way so BEWARE)

5. Increments (Most of the companies do not have this system, you keep working for same salary for years)

Basically I did not see any much of professionalism, all customized, & this is I have seen with several employees & not alone my experience.

If you need information on any companies in Africa write me back, I will happy to give you true report.

Hi

Please tell me something more about angola, as in precise detials for VISA, Cost of Living , and medical

I am being offered a SEnior account position in Reputed firm , wht should be the pay to opt for. (try and get a better bargain).

regards
Dhaval Damani

Hi Dhaval,

Angola- Luanda is VERY EXPENSIVE for Expats.
Company MUST provide you Furnished accommodation, Basic Medical, Vehicle & USD transfer to India etc. Are you relocating with family? If so child schooling is not possible, International school Fees are 60O USD a month!

Normal household items like groceries, vegetables are 8 to 10 times price than India.

Once should get minimum salary of 2500 USD a month, in my opinion. Kindly check working hrs etc. (if employer is Indian origin !!)

Let me know if you need further information.

hey, Muliving,

Very thanks for your quick and clear reply.
Good to hear from you.

Now, I have a offer from a MNC - So for Office timings i dont thing should be a problem.

I am concerned about the family security and family life there in angola , is it worth with family and do we have indian restuarants.

regards
Dhaval Damani

Max African companies call MNC- it means if company is in more than 1 location in AFRICA or other part of the world, you need to know more about Origin of it.

You must be going to Luanda (only city to work & live). I'm afraid about Family life in Luanda. Walking on streets is not advisable. 1 or 2 Indian restora is there in Luanda. Indian community is very limited, No Hindu temples or related activities yet established in Luanda. Your family has to stay in home all the time, you can only move in Car & that is also main parts of the city, Supermarkets etc. You also need to learn PORTUGUESE for comfortable living & communications.

Luanda is also highly congested & 2-3 hrs of traffic jams are normal there.

let me know if you need more.

[Every place is secure Until-unless you do not go to the place where you should not.], but one should not expect like India. Local people do not welcome EXPATS.

--Check Democratic Republic of Congo in Forum to get idea about how to calculate savings-

Your profile here says that you are in UAE, than you will NOT like it here, so think 1000 times before move. If Employer is American, British or Europe national than your MNC make sense.

Hey MULiving

Many thanks again.

I am having a offer from company (Based in UAE) and have a counter in luanda.

The company will provide me accomodation, i guess, but will have a better end if i know the things around the place.

From, your point of view i guess, being bachelors initially to know the things nad place is better, may be later on if found to be comfortable can move on with family.

Let me know if there are any indians moving in and out of that place, i mean do indians go there for business.If yes, wht business.

regards
Dhaval Damani

Dear MUliving,

i am Mechanical engineer with MBA (international Business). i am heaving 6 years of experience in B2B Sales & Marketing. Previously i have worked in Accra (GHANA) for an Indian Company. Hit by recession i am back to India & recently got an opportunity again from an Indian Pharma Company in Angola (Appy Overseas Pvt. Ltd.) they are offering me salary which can go up to 1500 $(Savings) + House +local allowance. Air ticket free. Annually one month holiday will be provided.

Sir, Kindly enlighten me about the living conditions and COL in Angola. I was getting USD 25000 as savings in Ghana plus USD 600 p.m for food & other(Food, Toiletries, Cigarettes and drinks etc)  daily expense (other then housing, travel, mobile, internet etc). Kindly suggest me upto what extent should I negotiate my remunerations with employer and if you can send me the key points to consider or discuses  while face to face final interview with them.

last but not the least if you can give me any idea about the internet and ,mobile services in Angola? 

Vikas

Hi Vikas,

Thanks for contacting me.

You must be going to Luanda -capital of Angola. Angola comes under top 10 expensive places in the world for EXPATS.

Security:
Walking on streets is NOT advisable
Family can not move alone, except in Super Market shoppings

Expenses:
Average family expense could be 600 to 800 USD a month, depend on life style, this may include entertainment also.
Child schooling is very expensive for ENGLISH study.

Mobile services are very expensive, for INT calls, EXPATS use Callback services. Internet also not cheap.

I hope this will clear your concerns.

Note: Make sure you take all in writing.

Hi Muliving,
            I have read your valuable comments above and will like to seek your esteemed guidance in terms of visa requirements.I am a indian national on a indian passport and have got a job in luanda, angola.My company is asking me to come on ordinary visa to angola and subsequently will change it to work permit later.

Kindly guide me wheather is it legal to take up paid employment on a ordinary visa in angola.Should I go on a ordinary visa for paid employment or will I be in problem doing so?

What is the legal way to take up paid employment in angola and how much time it takes to process the application.

Basis your comments I can get the insight of the real story.

Kindly reply

Sanjay

Hi.

Here are your answer

Most of the African countries do not have any issues regarding changing your Immigration status, its not legal but u know everything is possible in this world.

In my personal experience, Angola is very strict about issuing any Work permits. Converting Visitor visa to Working visa is NOT normal.

Employers also do this as 3 months visitor status is like your temporary work period, may be you decide to leave so they can save money as getting work permit is expensive task.

Few guys take a leave from present company & than go abroad, if they find Okay stay back. I hope this will clear your concerns.
By the way let me know your package so I can suggest you if its good or bad.

Hi MUliving,
            Thankyou for your valuable suggestions.Let me clarify that company is giving an ordinary visa . Can you pls put some light that is visitors visa(being mentioned by you above) same as ordinary visa or is it similar to tourist visa. What i can gather from your suggestions is that it is not legal to work on ordinary visa but this procedure is adopted by companies as work permit procedure is quite stringent. I hope is this what you mean to say.

To be honest I am confused, as I dont want to go on illegal basis and work. How do you think will company pay me while working on ordinary visa and what are the complications involved in it. Should I proceed on ordinary visa or ask them to issue me work permit in a nutshell.

They are paying me 2800$/month(tax free salary) together with furnished bachelor accomodation , car with driver, insurance, medical, paid leaves etc. What does bachelor accomodation consists of in angola.

Kindly give your valuable suggestions.

Thanks

Package is good. As I said this is NORMAL process of employment in Africa, go with Tourist visa & than convert it to work status. Most of the employers does this as there is no procedure to process work permits out side the country (most of it).

This is not legal but its become part of the legal system now & going to Africa & working in Africa is most of the time is for Money/Savings in USD so one do not think about legal or illegal.

You should find out this with your Employer that how they are capable of handling immigration office.

Hi Sanjay

I can confirm that it is quite normal to enter Angola with an ordinary visa the first time. As soon as you arrive, your employer will start the process to get a work visa (actually the process starts before you arrive). BUT you can only stay in Angola for a max of 30 days on an ordinary visa - so you need to have a return ticket within that time. Once you arrive, you need to get your flights changed - your employer should pay for this cost. Also your reason for entry shouldn't be work - have a reasonable "excuse" for wanting to come for a week or two. Getting the visa is a big pain (& expensive). You need to be met at the airport as there are no taxis!
The English language schools here are virtually FULL and enrollment is closed at many year levels - don't bring family unless you have recieved assurance (from the school)that there are places for them.
Accomodation is the most expensive on the planet (I've lived in Tokyo & it is much cheaper!) so ask careful questions about what you will be getting if you don't want any suprises.

But I have walked around the city during the day with no problems so it isn't as scary as it sounds. Nights are different. Malaria is common. Your health care should include evacuation to South Africa.

Good luck
Sue

Dear members,

Greetings to you all.

I wish to  post a query about working in Soyo,Angola for the Angola LNG.

Does anyone know about the place,working and living conditions?I just saw a job proposal and I am collecting information in case I need to take it to further processing.If I join I plan to go on bachelor status on a rotational basis.How is the pay there in LNG plant for engineering positions?

Thanks and Regards

Hi MUliving,
I have just joined the Forum. Quite interesting to known the various details, you have mentioned about. Well I believe that every place has its Plus & Minus points. Life is tough even in India for Indians, so to expect something on a silver plate would be foolish.
By the way, what are the job opportunities in Luanda for expats (Indians), is it easy to get jobs in MNC (keeping aside the global recession).

Hope to hear from you.

Regards
Peter (Mumbai)

Hi Buddy,

I was in Luanda in 2008 June to September a sIT consultant  when i came back My contract was not renewed. I am looking forward to come back and work there as I know there good future in IT. Please let me know how to get in formation on IT job listings in Luand so that I can try my luck or agencies in india which recruit for angola

Thanks & Regards

Umesh Kumar

Hi all,

I'm an indian national, currently in the UK and have been recently been offered a job with a MNC (oil & gas company.
I would much appreciate some practical information on the my concerns. How does the overall financials work out and what would constitute a very good salary...

1. Average cost of quality provisions inclusive meat & fish for family of 3 people in USD
2. What does furnished accomodation mean in Luanda
3. Cost of employing a personal driver.
4. Are good quality/safe meat and fish is available
5. Cost of internet and satellite TV with internationla channels
6. Avalability of indian groceries
7. Excess to good private medical basic/emergency care

Many thanks

Hi Kronos. Give some useful information about your UK stay. Once you will do so I will give you all the info. Reason doing this is very simple, many join this forum get info & go for ever. They do not want to contribute, this is a FREE service so everyone should contribute their experience & CoL of place they are lived. I hope this is no problem for you.

Hi Muliving, fair enough, and rightly so.

My wife is a doctor in the UK and our home is in Newcastle. I work for a norwegian oil company in singapore and live there since 3 years and travel up and down. So please ask me specific questions about UK or Singapore living and I will only be happy to answer - Cheers K

1. Average cost of quality provisions inclusive meat & fish for family of 3 people in USD - About USD 1,500 (depending on your choice and standard).
2. What does furnished accomodation mean in Luanda - Normally the accomodation is provided by the company (if you are working for a oil industry). Most of the people working in oil industry stay in Luanda Sul (outside) and you can find european type accomodation condiminium. Its is very expensive if you have to pay on your own (range between USD 12-30K/month). Inside the city too, you can find some good accomodation.
3. Cost of employing a personal driver - Not sure. Estimate about US 500/PM
4. Are good quality/safe meat and fish is available - Fresh fish can be found all around Luanda, in super market you can get frozen fish. You can get frozen chicken in super market.
5. Cost of internet and satellite TV with internationla channels - not sure.
6. Avalability of indian groceries - Dont expect anything. If you get something, you are lucky.
7. Excess to good private medical basic/emergency care - Good as negligible. The best personal medical facilty around is in South Africa.

Dear Vlotlikar,

Thank you and much appreciated, the company is providing accomodation and that is a big relief for me since reading yr mail. I feel I have an idea of the costs involved now and no wonder its called the most expensive expat place. I am hoping to be there by mid december, are you based in LUANDA?

Do have a pleasant day

Kind regards

vloltikar wrote:

1. Average cost of quality provisions inclusive meat & fish for family of 3 people in USD - About USD 1,500 (depending on your choice and standard).
2. What does furnished accomodation mean in Luanda - Normally the accomodation is provided by the company (if you are working for a oil industry). Most of the people working in oil industry stay in Luanda Sul (outside) and you can find european type accomodation condiminium. Its is very expensive if you have to pay on your own (range between USD 12-30K/month). Inside the city too, you can find some good accomodation.
3. Cost of employing a personal driver - Not sure. Estimate about US 500/PM
4. Are good quality/safe meat and fish is available - Fresh fish can be found all around Luanda, in super market you can get frozen fish. You can get frozen chicken in super market.
5. Cost of internet and satellite TV with internationla channels - not sure. DSTv costs 80-90 USD a Month. Internet is about 100 USD a month + installation around 600-700 USD
6. Avalability of indian groceries - Dont expect anything. If you get something, you are lucky. - There are a shop which sells almost all the Indian Groceries.
7. Excess to good private medical basic/emergency care - Good as negligible. The best personal medical facilty around is in South Africa.

-I'm not agree with cost of RENT, RENT is Luanda is around 1500 USD to 3000 USD a Month.

Dear MuLiving,

Thank you for the additional info, as far as rents are concerned  the uk and singapore too vary wildly depending where and how you would like to stay. In Singapore for a accomodation in a private condominimm varies between 2200 Sing dollars to about 6000 sgd depending upon  location and the condominium for a 2 BR about 1000 to 1200 sq ft living space of course you get facilities like a spa, tennis, driving rage lit pool squash manicured lawns and beautiful gardens in teh bargain. UK its as expensive .. but forget about the facilities..

cheers
Kiran

I recently got a offer from an MNC which is european based it is based in luanda
I want to know abut living standards there, is it 2 expensive there, Wht abut indian vegi food as i m pure vegi
r ther any indians hotels
Wht abut indian community ther is there any associations or any cultural organizations ??

Pls help me

Regards

Vivek

Readout old posts, many info is available. Are you going for a Job or meeting Indian there? So don't expect those things, first settle in job & you will automatically find mats. If you want to comment on expenses there than you shld earn 2000 USD a month-Minimum. Best of Luck.

Hi all in Angola!

I want to know know few things about Angola mainly of Luanda
How much is the reasonable rent for 2 BHK Apartment in a Normal residential area? And the normal food costs in Supermarkets for a normal living in a Month? Few names of the residential Areas for average living?

I appreciate your response!

Hi All,

Hope u all r doing good. I am Bhaurahi from India and recently got an opportunity from a distribution company called sanzi group in Luanda. I want to know more details about this company its culture etc.

If any one who is in Luanda, kindly provide me with detailed info of this company.

Regards,

Bhaurahi

Hi, Thanks a lot for such good information about employers in Angola.
If i may, would like to know details about the company called Sanzi Group.

I have got recent offer from the compnay for Angola position. What do you suggest? is it a good company to work for?

Eagerly awaiting for your feedbacks.

Bhaurahi

Hi all I am being offered for a job from company GroupRizwan in luanda, can anyone please help me about any info,about the company thanks

dear brothers,
Kindly furnish with as i am new to african country nad community.
I got an offer from one oil company as the store charge of 1500 usd with accomodation.and two chances in an year for vaccation.
I sthe salary enouh as stays as the bachelor to savehow far the locals friendly with us
Regards
Manoj

I am planning to come to Luanda as Sales Director for a food stuff trading co.how the marketing and sale functions there.difficult?

Hi i am harish currently residing in n'dalatando Angola is there any facility to transfer money other then Union Mpney Transfer on low cast

Dear Friends,

I am an Indian Nationality working for an Italian Oil & Gas company as Control System engineer and have 8years experience in the same field, my company is planing to transfer me to Lunda office (Angola) for a salary of 6000USD + Accommadation + air ticket + car with driver. Is it up to the Angolian oil & Gas market/job salary standard.

With regards,
Thomas

Hello Harish

Are you still in N'dalatando?
If so, perhaps you could mail me at
[email protected]

I have a suggestion that might be mutually beneficial.

thanks
N.P.

hi

My name is lakshminarayana. Recently I got an offer from Luanda, the company name is ango zara commercials. They are indians settled in luanda long time back. Can you please guide me about the location and company info if you have any? how about work and live in luanda? they offered me a net savings in INR and providing free bachelors accomodation and food. what would be your suggestions, so that i will think once again and accept the offer.

Regards
lakshminarayana D

MUliving wrote:

Dear Indian expat,

Hi. I'm a Indian Citizen who is having more than 6 years of experience in South Africa, Congo, Angola & Tanzania. This TOPIC is dedicated to the all the Indian expats (not limited to them only) who is trying a Job here or already having an offer from Employer in Africa.

Following are very IMP points to discuss & know from Employer

1. Try to get reference from someone for the company you are going for
- Salary on monthly basis (Many employers do not pay monthly salaries & they keep your money on hold)
- USD Transfer to India (It cost you to transfer)
- Company reputation
- Work permit (many employer do not make WP & keep rolling to save money)
- Type of accommodation
(They talk good in interview & promise many things but once you are here NOTHING happens same way)

2. Take CONTRACT in writing (these are MUST)
- Basic family medical (Med. treatments are expensive here)
- Company vehicle
- Child schooling
- Paid house expenses(Electricity+Water charges)
- Yearly Paid leave + paid family travel to India

3. Work profile (In here Nothing is fixed , they will ask you to do anything !- BEWARE), you can not change a job in abroad as its ban by law here, so they use this as a weapon against you

4. Working hrs (Many companies work for 12-15 hrs, no time limits, even Sunday & holidays are working days!, I worked same way so BEWARE)

5. Increments (Most of the companies do not have this system, you keep working for same salary for years)

Basically I did not see any much of professionalism, all customized, & this is I have seen with several employees & not alone my experience.

If you need information on any companies in Africa write me back, I will happy to give you true report.

Hi MUltiliving,
You have done a great job here. At present I am in Nairobi. I have stayed in Nigeria too. In total I have spent 8 years in Africa. I am from Mumbai.

I am considering an offer from Milibridge Holding Limitada. I would be grateful to you If you could give me any information about this company. (they are business associate of Casa Steel, South Africa)

If you anybody already working there, then please give me the contacts.
Thanking you in Advance.
Warm Regards,
Dinesh

Dear MuLiving,

I have been offered job as medical officer for a portugese construction company Constructing 3 * hotel in Luanda.I am being offered 4000 US $ a month.I have read ur articles to take precautions to stay in angola.

I want ur opinion to join.

Girish

Hello Girish,
I am also from Mumbai.
Have you accepted the offer ?

Regards,
Dinesh

dineshvs30 wrote:

Hello Girish,
I am also from Mumbai.
Have you accepted the offer ?

Regards,
Dinesh

Not yet. I am confused & want to take opinion of experienced guy as i am new to this.

Regards,

Girish