The nightlife scene in Spain

Hello,

Having access to a good nightlife scene can be a determining factor for many expats upon choosing their next destination. Tell us more about the nightlife in Spain.

In Spain, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night? Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

What are the most popular evening or nighttime activities (e.g. bars, nightclubs, shows, cultural activities, etc.)?

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in Spain?

Is there anything in particular that surprised you about the nightlife in Spain?

Are there any apps or websites (or any other resources) that would help in staying informed about evening and nighttime activities?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

The night life here in Spain is lots of fun! I have found it to be a bit different than it is in my home country of the United States.

1. The schedule. Spaniards go out later and stay out later. As most of us know, dinner happens at 9-10 p.m. Then after that you drink either at a bar or someone's house. Spaniards typically don't arrive until about 2:30 a.m. If you arrive at midnight or 1 a.m., the place will be empty. The place stays open until about 7 a.m.
2. Spaniards seem to know how to drink. I've never seen a Spaniard sloppy drunk. They seem to stick to one drink all night as well. In the end, it seems to be more about having fun with your friends than getting obliterated. I love that. Being a sloppy drunk will out you as a foreigner.
3. It seems to be an unspoken rule that you switch to copas after midnight. This just means a mixed drink rather than beer. However my Spanish roommate drank beer when we went out well into the night, so who knows?
4. The majority of the night clubs will play reggaeton. The bigger cities have more variety. I live in Granada, and we have one alternative club and two clubs that draw more of a hippy crowd. Everything else is reggaeton and "typical" for Spain.
5. Some clubs have a dress code. Just be sure to check on that before going.

I wrote a blog post about a typical night out in Spain with my Spanish friends. It was written in diary style. You can read it here if you want: http://aworldofdresses.com/a-night-out-in-spain/

Nina pretty well says it all. As a gay guy I look for a gay nightlife. It is there but only in the larger cities and, again, a late start and early morning finish. Torremolinos is good but 90mins drive. One or two bars in Granada, 1 hour from where I live, but nothing in my home town of Alcala La Real, although there is an 'underground' gay scene!!

Keith

Hello does anyone know if El Campello is a place for English
people to have good social life - would anyone have advice
for single lady intending to buy house there..   
or recommend any alternative town on the coast..

Not quite the same, not about "los barrios" or the places with "mucha marcha" but there is lots and lots of free or really cheap live music to be had too.

I think the comment about drinking cubatas, mixed drinks, is true. It's always appropriate to drink beer but spirits and a mixer are much more common when you're out "on the town."

I lived in Barcelona for 6 months.  And I too, being an American, found it REMARKABLE how I never once saw a Spaniard get "too drunk".  I don't know if it's genetics, or culture or what, but they would go out and have a few drinks, but never get plastered.

I also noticed some people ordering soda later in the evening.  And it wasn't taboo at all.  When I order a diet-coke in America I never hear the end of it from my guy friends.

A girl from Germany from our language school got too drunk at the bar one night.  And her girlfriends intervened and took her drink - cut her off, and got her a water.  In America, you get applauded for being sloppy drunk.  Almost like you get a prize for being the biggest mess in the bar.  It's sad.

I did see people s-faced drunk out at night, but it was ALWAYS Americans or Brits.  Every time.