European appliances - best option making them work in Panama?

Hi all,

I have just moved from the Netherlands to Panama. I have quite a few appliances from Europe (for e.g. coffee machine, stand mixer, iron etc) that are 220-240V with a rating of 2400W.

In order to get them working in Panama, I have read about two options:

1. Buying a step up 110 to 22V voltage transformer with a rating of 3000W or 4000W

2. Converting the plug where these appliances will be used from single phase (120V) to three phase (240V)

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with either of the two options? Or may be there is a third option that I have not figured out yet.

Would be great to hear from you!

Cheers,
Dhaval

The usual advice to not bother and but new but you seem to have already taken the wrong road.
Talk to an electrician  about a second circuit in the house but that's likely to be expensive and messy.
Look at high power transformers but that means big, ugly boxes (if you can find them)
The frequency is also different, something that could be a problem for some units. Some 50hrz equipment can suffer badly is used on 60hrz.

The cheapest  and best option is likely to be a trash can and a trip to the shops.

@ dhavalnaker
everything works fine - no transformers needed
don't worry
unless you have big machinery with 3-phase 380volt motors
then you would need static or rotary phase converters

Hi Triffic,

That's great news!

I have things like coffee machine, stand mixer, bread maker etc. All 220V and 2400W.

Based on your response, I am really hoping that they will work without any modifications.

Cheers,
Dhaval

@Dhaval
go to any hardware store like Cochez - DoIt etc.
buy a 220volt 15amp outlet for every device
or
if your machines are close together
you can bring a 220volt 6-Outlet Power Strip from Europe
then you only need one 220volt 15amp outlet

it also depends if you live in a house or apartment