Adapting to the climate in Panama

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Panama is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Panama?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Panama?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Well, the weather is great, pretty perfect really, altho can be a bit on the wet side this time of year.........But I would venture to say that for me anyway, 2250 ft elevation is the perfect weather equation........Now Ive become so adapted to this cooler weather, but not cold, up here, that I am increasing uncomfortable in the sticky heat below........here, no heaters, no air conditioning.........keeps lite bills down to earth.........

I've lived here for 8 years now in Panama City, but travelled all over and spent a lot of time (travelling there and staying) down in the Azueros Peninsula, Pedasi.
I will talk about weather at or close to sea level.
Year round weather is between 70-90 plus.
Summer is hot and dry between (usually) beginning of January (often starts in December) through to May (often starts raining though a bit earlier). Winter (Rainy season) is April/May to December.
WINTER: Rain gets progressively heavier as the season progresses. Usually a big rain dump for no more than couple of hours each day around lunchtime...then maybe more later in the day if there is a weather system close by. The City goes slow when it happens because the drainage systems can't cope so theres often flooding in certain areas. An SUV/higher car is best but I've never had any problems in my low car.
It can be very humid and uncomfortable leading up to a big storm, but usually after the rain it becomes fresher, and at night can be slightly chilly which is very refreshing.
I don't like really humid or very hot weather, but its never too much for me.
SUMMER: No rain, very sunny, often a nice breeze at night, not very humid. Perfect other than can be very hot in the day starting from as early as 8am. Panama is drier out of the City in the region called "Arco Seco".
I have allergies (always suffered from Hayfever in UK)...for about 2 weeks when the seasons change I usually get sinus/allergies...its not that bad but I feel it every year.
Best thing about the weather here....even when it rains its warm...you never get cold...plus you can spend a lot of your time outdoors which I love.
Best advice I can give - come for a few holidays at different times of year to experience the climate, and visit different parts so you can see the variation.

Climate? A lot depends on where you live. The mountains are too chilly for me, but sea level is too hot for a lot of other people. Even in the mountains one area may get more rain or wind than another nearby area. In general though, it's the tropics so it tends to be warm. Summer tends to be dry and windy. Rainy season tends to be.... well.... rainy! But it generally rains late in the day so do what you need to do in the morning. On the Caribbean side though none of what I said applies. Weather there is more random but it's still the tropics, generally warm and wet.
My daily life? I never have to worry about snow and cold, or hurricanes, thank goodness. I can pretty much live outdoors in shorts and flip flops. Here in Chiriqui we have tons of fresh, locally grown fruits and veggies, and life is happy which contributes greatly to good health IMO.