Money/Cost of Living

Hello. I'm considering a job in China. My salary would be about $2500 pretax. I'm wondering if this is enough to save about a thousand a month or more. The job is in Kunming; don't know if that has a vastly different cost of living than other areas. I am fairly cheap, but like to eat out occasionally and enjoy myself sometimes, but mostly I can entertain myself by reading a book. Although I like the occasional massage (real massage, not boom boom :))

Thanks!

Anyone?

HI

I don't know how much you will get after tax.
But if you got 2000$ left, and just like you said live not luxury, you can save 1000$ in Kunming I think, but really not luxury anyway.

Hi $2500 before tax is not really much, but if you don't have any expenses at home, you'll be fine. Eating out and massages are cheap. Will the company take care of housing for you?
take care
Ben

Why don't you like "happy ending" massages? They are legal in China. Don't knock it until you've tried it, I always say.

OK. First off, stop thinking in terms of USD. You will not be in the USA. So why think like an American. It's like comparing apples to water buffalo. 

Secondly, the tax situation will be unlike you have ever been exposed to. It's like almost nothing. Meaning there is only one tax. That is payroll. At your salary, you might be surprised at how little tax you would pay. Maybe a few hundred RMB... maybe $25 for the month. There will not be any other taxes. So relax. There are no other taxes at all. No state taxes. No food taxes. No parking taxes. No fees. No registration costs. No social security or medicaid deductions. No FDIC requirements.

You will have a lot more money to spend without the corrupt Washington DC swamp critters in your wallet every second.

But, don't let your guard down. People like James Comey, Feinstein, and Nancy Peloski still all want a cut of what you make. They passed a law back under Obama that makes everything that you make in China subject to US taxes. That is in addition to your Chinese taxes. Yup double taxation for American expats.

https://tse2-mm.cn.bing.net/th?id=OIP.BTkVRJITs6FCH0r-LQUtBwHaFj&pid=Api

Hey! Didn't we fight a war where the rally cry was "No taxation without representation"? Yeah, well, no one ever said that Democrats ever read history books...

Bummer, yeah.

In fact, one of the last thing that King Obama did in his final days int he White House (aside from throwing parties with all the Hollywood stars) was make sure that the new IRS tax law was enforced. The penalties for non-compliance are quite severe. Indeed, Uncle Sam will want a big chunk of what you will make though. Somewhere around 40%.

Don't freak. However if you file for foreign exclusion, you won't have to pay anything. You will make less than $100,000/year right?

Kuming is cheap. You will be fine. You will be making 15,000 RMB.

You can really save in China. That is for positive. Especially when you are not bombarded with advertisements to buy...buy...buy.  I lived in downtown Shenzhen on less, and I had a wife and a habit that included drinking and eating out every night and KTV's at least once a week. Yes, for the direct and simple answer you will be fine...

But...

You will need to eat local. Cook your own food at least once a week, and cut out Starbucks coffee o only five cups a month. My guess is that if you are careful, you should be able to save one grand USD a month. If you smoke, you should buy local cigarettes that might cost you $1, instead of the expensive American imports.

If you cook all your meals yourself, and eat mostly meat, fish and vegetables, your food bill might be around 500 RMB/month = $50.

Come to China, not to continue your American lifestyle in China, but rather to move on to a new phase in your life... a Chinese phase.

Best of luck.