Canadian citizen applying for temproary dutch residency

Hi.
I am a Canadian Citizen residing in Norway since 2013 holding permananet residency under Family immigration. I am now looking to move residency to NL for better job prospects. I am in the process of applying jobs as well however would like to move residency which would ease job prospects. My wife has a permanent job and will only resetlle once I am through the loops. I am permanently employed here however keen to experience life in NL.

Please advise how do I go about applying for residency myself . I have been through imd site however not been able to comprehend which form is applicable and how to go about. Clear on MVV part and TB exception being a Canadian Citizen.

Thanks in advance for your kind support and feedback.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You are correct that as a Canadian citizen, you don't need to go through the MVV process, you just need to apply for a Work permit; this link will take you to the relevant part of the IND website.  You should be aware that part of the process is a referral to the "Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency (UWV)"; if they don't think you have much chance of getting a job, they can refuse you entry.  There are other conditions you'll have to meet, but they are described in the link I gave you.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello nlno,

For all practical purposes, I would seriously contemplate getting Norwegian nationality before trying the move. EEA to EU move is far easier than with a nationality outside EEA/EU area.

Good luck.

Thank you Cynic. You have been fabulous and really helpful towards a lot of people.

Hi.

Yes Norway is fabulous and the work -life balance is amazing better than Canada. Norway may soon be on its way to dual citizenship as well ( pending bill in summer ). Please feel free to reach out to me With any help ypu need regarding relocating here.

Hello Nlno,

That was a suggestion for you to get Norwegian nationality (start you've had residency for 5 years or so).
Movement between the EU/EEA is a much more simple task, especially when you would like residency here in the Netherlands.

If I wanted to move to Norway (or a Norwegian wanted to move here), all that is needed is an address and employment which is then reported/registered at the police/immigration.

Cheers.

Agreed. I am awaiting dual citizenship to take place here which will come into effect in 2019/2020. Moving prior to same would give me an upstart. Sorry didnt know you were EU Citizen. Thansk again for the input.

Hi.

I have reviewed the website link shared by you. My understanding is as follows. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. GVVA is in Dutch only and I could with help of translator as a potential employee apply for same.This can be done online and not necessarily in person at IND.
2. I could call IND and request them for more Information on documentation to support my case. In the interim I am guessing the following could be beneficial as well to support
a. Salary statement last 6 months.
b .Annual tax Returns filed in Norway last 5 yrs ( could be translated and notarized ).
c. List of similar job positions currently open at time of Application. ( for similar positions I do see at any time on LinkedIn 20-30 openings).
d. Assets held in Norway ( Real estate etc.)
e. Bank statement.

Would be great if someone who has undergone similar experience of applying GVVA on own as potential employee can share their journey.

Hi,

Just to clarify the GVVA process:

Link

the IND website wrote:

Conditions for granting employment permits to workers from outside the EEA

An employer can employ someone from outside the EEA in the following cases only:

1.  The employer cannot find a suitable candidate from an EEA country;
2.  The vacancy has been open for at least five weeks. For vacancies that are difficult to fill,  the period is three months. The UWV determines whether a vacancy is difficult to fill;
4.  The employer has taken all available steps to find a worker from the Netherlands or the EEA, including advertising the vacancy in the print media and on the internet.

The employer applies to the UWV for an employment permit or to the IND for a GVVA. The employer must also satisfy other requirements for the employment permit or GVVA.

So what we're really looking at is the Dutch equivalent of a "skilled persons visa" which are pretty common across the EU and are the qualification criteria to actually apply for GVVA.  How it normally works is that you find a job with an employer registered with IND, they then apply for your GVVA; if you have a family to accompany you, it's usual that you bind their visa to yours and they get submitted together by your future employer.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team