Studying and working in Jakarta?

Hello everybody,

I'm going to move to Jakarta in September to learn Bahasa Indonesia for a year because I won a scholarship opportunity. 

I'm wondering if it is possible to have a part time job legally while I have only visa to study there?
It's a bit complicated for me because I don't have a degree and English is not my mother tongue.
Do you think it's possible to get an English teaching job in Jakarta if I learn Bahasa Indonesia properly and improve my English skills at the same time?

Maybe my best chance to stay there after a year is that I should apply for a BSc undergraduate program and get a degree? (I still wouldn't be sure what kind of degree because I have been working as a laboratory technician for 4 years in the EU but probably it's hard to get a job in this industry in Indonesia as an expat.)

Knowing Bahasa Indonesia can be a big plus to get a job there btw?

Probably not. You should ask your sponsor what you can can't do. Teaching English illegally might work out your favour might not. immigration is more aware and alert and less easy to get by these days and most language companies won't hire you so it would have to be private but if English isn't your first language then parents won't like it if your language is poor.

Yeah, that's what I aware of. Maybe if I manage to apply for English course and reach close to perfect level. Altough there are many possibilities and everbody should try even if it seems hard or impossible. I have heard some stories that private English schools sometimes hires expats even if English is not their mother tongue and they are not too good in it. (Reliable source told me that.)

Anybody knows what would be a legal(ish) way to be a freelancer teacher in Indonesia?

MartonHun wrote:

Anybody knows what would be a legal(ish) way to be a freelancer teacher in Indonesia?

Get married to an Indonesian
Wait two years and apply for a KITAP
Work part time without contract

^Legal.

You can just go off and do it but I'm assured prison food isn't very nice and deportation tends to follow. If you're very lucky, just deportation.

Thanks for the advice!
Maybe other SE Asian countries are less rigid if it comes to expat work permit?
I guess getting a degree there is my best bet.

The situation here is the result of a mix of colonialism and post 1945 politics.
It isn't going to change any time soon.

It is an offence. With student visa u cannot work in Indonesia. If u caught by Immigration will be arrested and deported. So don't do that mistake. Learn Bhasa Indonesia first. Minimum qualification for expat is  Degree   is a must. All the best