Dealing with loneliness in Turkey

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Turkey?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Turkey?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

the locals are not accepting the need to be socially involved with foreigners here , they are ice but some how complex of exchanging ideas and tolerance .

Language difference is such an interesting experience to learn and also they should see the need to learn English but they don't.

The foreigners are not helping issues among their selves , every foreigner will start behaving like Turkish , angry birds and never social .

Living in Turkey is fun but all a new adventure .

It seems that you haven't seen real ice before :)

In summer it's easy to spend time on gym -Beach
Running make picnics on mountain
Shopping in malls
Meet people
Cinema
Go to night life
Walking in historical places
Turkey is very big to do a lot of activity if you have money 🤷‍♀️

How much do a family of 3 roughly need to live an average life not necessarily in a big expensive city? Just a rough figure; Thanks

1000 euro included rent apartment food electric water transportation

Thank

It's get more boring in Turkey during winter. But summer is the most exciting season in Turkey with lots of parks to visit. There are numerous beaches and coffee shops and the Turkish people are very hospitable

Hey!
Girls won't feel lonely in Istanbul by any means...
And boys must avoid Turkish girls and go for other nationalities.
Clubs/Bars/Pubs are not a choice (you're not allowed in/welcome without a girl!).
Of course you can always fill your spare time by watching TV series, and other stuff like sight seeing and etc! But make sure your data is working, otherwise you might spend the night in streets looking for the way back home! (Even three lobby men refused to help me with address once.)
Good luck!

Heyyy,

So i guess from my own 2 years experiences here i can summarize that Turkish people in general are nice but they are not open for a relationship and contact if they dont know you, so it might be diffecult to approch people that you dont know. After a while you can see that you need to put some efforts to establish that communication, later on you might find  a very nice people.
What you can do if you feel lonely, just explore the city, check the mape and where you can see new places, some times i am renting a car and go for new places, yes it will be easier for you to hangout with your expat friends, but you need also to hangout with Turkish people to understand the people and ways of thinking and be more aware about the community.

For Istanbul, it is full with nice places that you can visit and enjoy a very full days.

Enjoy life and be happy.. Thanks

I'm hoping to move to Istanbul soon. You are correct in that Turkish men welcome foreign women. Turkish women are not so welcoming. I think that it will take time and speaking Turkish is essential. I am finding that learning Turkish is "cok zor " but I will keep trying. It's easier when you're there and hearing it all the time.

hello,
first you have to have goal or objectives, that make you spend most your time and effort for it,
I face same before, and I didnt find the most meetings and event useful in Istanbul, you have to value yor time and life, and spend it in learning or doing good works, hobbies, planning to reach bigger and bigger goal,
I using currently online  and youtube,and follow up many good channel education technical organization language many field,
and find them better than setting with people  just for meet up and drink...

the dream or goal not coming if we dont plan and go to them step by step..

thanks

Mohammed Alkhatib wrote:

some times i am renting a car and go for new places

I like your reply Mohammed; thanks; how much does it cost to rent a car in Turkey? I heard that cars in Turkey are astronomically expensive!

Jacquimcneill wrote:

I am finding that learning Turkish is "cok zor " but I will keep trying. It's easier when you're there and hearing it all the time.

Hi Jacqui; are you learning Turkish through a formal course? We plan to do a formal course for 6-12 months in about a year and half/two years; and thoughts or recommendations appreciated - thanks.

Heeyyy...thanks, for car rental there are a lot of factors which can affect the price including when do you rent, type of insurance, how many days and which category did you choose. So if i talk about economical category and normal days with the max insurance "my advice to every one" and for three days, the daily cost will be around 170 TL. In this category my cheapest was 133TL and the most expensive was 205 tl during the summer season.
The longer that you rent the car, the cheapest it will be. If you will take the car for one month it can reach to 95tl a day.
(1$=4.70TL)
Last advice, go for famous companies dont use local unknown companies.
Enjoy your day

Thanks; much appreciate it; we plan to spend at least a months in Turkey by March next year; we would like to explore villages and farms; not certain which region yet but probably Mugla and/or Edremit - Still researching. Is the rent unlimited kilometers? Usually, when it is limited, one ends up paying an arm and a leg for each extra kilometer!

It depend also on the company, but from my experience if you do the reservation online most of the companies are giving unlimited kilometers. I cannt remember that i had a limited kilometers before. I will let you know soon which companies are giving unlimited meters.
On the other hand, What might gives you extra is the toll roads. So you have to plan carefully through the maps. Once i paid in two days 70 TL.

I've  tried to find a formal course but there are none here. Just things like babbel. I have been speaking online to Turkish people and trying to learn that way and when I'm in Turkey also

Jacquimcneill wrote:

I've  tried to find a formal course but there are none here

Very strange; I believe that there are both private and public centers offer courses; I heard of Tomer Schools; I think there might be courses at universities/collages as well.

Hello again, for language education, you can check this website...it is very good and i prefer to have some basics about the language before you come...it will help you a lot when you come here and start learning the language. At the beginning it will seems diffecult but after a while it will become more smooth and easy.
This web site teach Turkish with from different languages also.. i think it will be useful.
https://turkce.yee.org.tr/
Enjoy

Excellent; thanks :)