Letter from Embassy for visa Extension

Hello,

I will be moving to Siem Reap soon and spoke to a travel agency about extending an ordinary visa for 12 months. Because I am under 50 they stated that I would need a letter from my embassy indicating that I am retired. I was wondering if anyone had done this and what was required. Thanks for any advice/info.

Hello.

I would talk to another agent. Agents tend to advise wrong things.

Probably you would apply for a retirement extension of stay and for that you would need, if applicable, proof of being retired [in case of disability e.g.], or that you provide proof of being financially independent, by submitting I believe 3 months of bank slips showing money coming in regularly from abroad.

Sometimes agents tell you have to write a letter yourself, to accompany the application, stating that you are retired, will not work and are financially independent. It might not be necessary but is not a big deal to write such a letter.

I don't think your embassy is aware if you're retired or not, it is not embassy's task. If you receive a retirement or pension regularly, your pension fund office should give you a statement about it.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team