Retirement Visa

Hi can anyone give me up to date information on the Retirement Visa. I am 68 years young and live in Vietnam on a 1 year Business Visa at present but looking to relocate to Sihanoukville ??Regards Barrie

Hi,
Yes you can get a retirement visa as long as you can show that you have income. There is one thing you should consider, the retirement visa does not allow you to buy a property, therefore, if you are happy renting for the rest of your years, then no problem.

If you want to buy, I suggest you come for a visit, buy a property, it will have to be a condo, that is what Foreigners can legally own and get the title deed in your name and thereafter, apply for a retirement visa.

Have you been to Sihanoukville recently? If you haven't, the place has changed dramatically with numerous property developments taking place, also the dominant tourists are Chinese, the restaurants, shops etc, cater for Chinese.

On top of this rental prices have increased dramatically and there are numerous stories of people both foreign and local being ousted out as the Chinese will pay substantially more.

I suggest you do some research and then decide if it is right for you.

Hi thanks for your prompt reply very helpful .Looking at Cambodia as Vietnam has changed their Business Visa LAWS!!! I have got till Feb 2019 before my visa runs out so will do some research in the mean time ???,could you give me any information on nice places for Australians
to live ( shops ,supermarkets etc ) and a good VISA AGENT would be helpful .Also do you know the financial requirments for the Retirement visa Thank You again Regards Barrie

Hi, I suggest you contact ***They have dome my visa for many years and they will have the info you require on retirement visas.

I am based in Phnom Penh, so I am not the best person to advise on places to live in Sihanoukville. I suggest you go see and decide, Kampot is a place were many expats who were in Sihanoukville are or have moved to.

****Best of luck.

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : Please share the contact details privately and note that promoting your services is not allowed. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Barrie.

Very simple. You come in on an Ordinary visa and a week or two later you can extend for a retirement extension of stay. Use a reliable agent .
Retirement extension can be for up to one year and be extended as long as you're around.

You need no proof, just your passport and the money, about $290 for one year.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

naimkhanturk wrote:

Hi,
Yes you can get a retirement visa as long as you can show that you have income. There is one thing you should consider, the retirement visa does not allow you to buy a property, therefore, if you are happy renting for the rest of your years, then no problem.

If you want to buy, I suggest you come for a visit, buy a property, it will have to be a condo, that is what Foreigners can legally own and get the title deed in your name and thereafter, apply for a retirement visa.

Have you been to Sihanoukville recently? If you haven't, the place has changed dramatically with numerous property developments taking place, also the dominant tourists are Chinese, the restaurants, shops etc, cater for Chinese.

On top of this rental prices have increased dramatically and there are numerous stories of people both foreign and local being ousted out as the Chinese will pay substantially more.

I suggest you do some research and then decide if it is right for you.

Not correct for the visa extension.
As he is over 55 years old no proof of retirement status or income is required.
The only thing he needs is his passport and about $290 for a one year extension.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

ozbaz wrote:

Hi thanks for your prompt reply very helpful .Looking at Cambodia as Vietnam has changed their Business Visa LAWS!!! I have got till Feb 2019 before my visa runs out so will do some research in the mean time ???,could you give me any information on nice places for Australians
to live ( shops ,supermarkets etc ) and a good VISA AGENT would be helpful .Also do you know the financial requirments for the Retirement visa Thank You again Regards Barrie

Hi Barrie.

Phnom Penh has everything you need, be it shopping malls, medical services, train/flight connections and more. It's a big city and everything is there.

Siem reap and Sihanoukville are much smaller but have their own charm, the latter for being a seaside resort, but unfortunately in a development phase with loads of construction sites and the building traffic causes much sand and dust plus damages the already not so smooth roads.

Hope this helps a bit.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Jo exactly right no proof of income nothing but 275$ I just got one multiple entry for a year , I'm 61, look I like jo he's actually a friend , but  that said , he really knows what's up and what's not, everything he's told me has been spot on, I had heard you do need proof of income, I asked jo last February, he told me they didn't know what they were talking about, of course he was right, I just went to a travel spot three days later a retirement visa easy. I have lived here fours years now in pp, if you need correct information ask jo, everybody else including myself are not nearly as knowledgeable as jo, he's a great resource here, use him he's free, ha

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your kind advice regarding the requirement for the  Cambodian Retirement Visa.
The condition looks quite relaxed compared to other SEA nations.
By the way,  is the requirement for the Cambodian Retirement Visa still the same as 2018?
I saw some other site that covers the Cambodian Visa issues in 2019.
https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning … dia-visas/

And the above web says that:
It is currently necessary to prove the retirement status of the applicant.
By producing  such as government-issued Pension or Social Security papers.
If it is really like that, I might find it difficult to get Cambodian one.
I have been a self-funded retiree under pension age.
And I have no social security related documentation with me.

Your additional advice for the year 2019 will be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,    J.M.

I got the retirement extension of stay in October of 2018 for a year with multiple entries. I paid $290 to a reputable agent (thanks Joe!) in Phnom Penh and did not show any proofs of retirement like wages or savings or proof age beyond what is in the passport. It took about 9 days due to holidays to get the passport back with the extension of stay. I should mention I was 65 years young then :-)

Hope this helps.

I just got my 2019 one year multiple entry , no proof of anything but 285$ took me also about 10 days , easy no proof needed

Hello, mpmilestogo,

I have just read your reply in response to my query posted yesterday.
I trully appreciate your up-to-date advice based upon your recent expereince.
Looks like the requirement for the Cambodian RV has not any changed since its introduction.
It is a good news to me.
I thank you again for your kind speedy advice.
I wish you all the best for you.

Yours faithfully,    J.M.

Hello, Twinsguy20,

Thank you for your practical advice on the current Cambodian RV requirement.
It is great to know that only my age(over 55) and current passport needed to qualify.
In which  part of Cambodia are you currently residing?
Would you mind telling me the reliable agent in your area if possible?

I thank you again for your useful  information.

Yours faithfully,  J.M.

Did you use an agent where did you apply

Hello, Salavan,

Not yet.
I am currently planning to move to Cambodia from Thailand.
Since Thailand looks like gradually tightening the conditions  for their retirement visa.
So that I am now trying to collect valid information from the people who are already in Cambodia.
Reasonably well study the destination before make a move.
That is my policy.

Cheers,   J.M.

I'm also living in thailand and making plans just incase things detiriate any more need an excape route just incase

Jo will be the best advice on cambodia

Pm  me I will give you my agents number , he's connected as they say

Hello, Salavan,

It is always good to ready the back up plan as the emergency exit.

Hopefully, keep in touch.

And   exchange information each other  where possible.

Have a nice day,   J.M.

Thanks hack can pm me if you want

Hello, Salavan,

My back up plan(resettlement in Cambodia) was initially triggered by the article below:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ … s/30360990

Since then,  I started to prepare for the unforseen future of the expat in Thailand.
Even though the things did not turn out as the coverage above(at least for the moment).

I started to study:
1-Current visa conditions of Cambodia.

2-Cambodian language.

Trying to be a smarter expat.

Cheers,  J.M.

Hi Jack that was also the same article that triggered me to join this forum and start looking for somewhere else to live
Hope it doesn't happen but who knows.
Cambodia seems to be my best option apart from the high cost of renting accommodation it seem about 4 times the cost of Thailand.
If you come across anything else send me a message

Where about in Thailand are you jack
Do you have line app maybe we could exchange information there
Could you send me a private message

Salavan wrote:

Cambodia seems to be my best option apart from the high cost of renting accommodation it seem about 4 times the cost of Thailand.

Hello Salavan.

Read this as you are totally mistaken, PP is way cheaper than Bangkok.

Consumer Prices in Bangkok are 18.67% higher than in Phnom Penh
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Bangkok are 25.72% higher than in Phnom Penh
Rent Prices in Bangkok are 45.54% higher than in Phnom Penh
Restaurant Prices in Bangkok are 15.03% higher than in Phnom Penh
Groceries Prices in Bangkok are 26.88% higher than in Phnom Penh
Local Purchasing Power in Bangkok is 120.68% higher than in Phnom Penh

Cheers

Joe

Hi Joe  I'm not accually in Bangkok but very close
It maybe because the places I've seen advertised on the Internet are through property agents
Do local khmer people have places to rent without going through property agents?

Salavan, you need a reliable agent.

Most agents want you to rent for $800 - $1000.
Totally unnecessary, as there are apartments for $300 - $400.

I have myself an apartment one bedroom 90 m2 with large balcony, gym in the building, $400.

So when you arrive here ask me for a reliable agent and I will get you one.

Cheers

Joe

OK thanks joe

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Hello, Salavan,

Looks like that coverage provoked quite a number of retired expats.
Some good news about the apartment rent in Cambodia.
It is not necessarily 4 time higher than in Thailand.
Mostly depends of its location and area you choose to live in.
Better avoid the properties advertised by foreign  agents.
Instead, rent directly from the  private owners(locals) looking for  tenants.
This way, you can skip extra fees the middle man charges.

J.M.

Hello, Salavan

Some additional advice related to the apartment search in Cambodia.
Before you make a decision which property to rent, look around as many as rooms as possible.
On foot field work really works.
That is how I have come to find my current place in Chiang Mai.
Better do this while your stay in a local guesthouse with moderate daily rate($6-8/day).

J.M.

Hi Joe,
Thank you for all the advice before and since I have moved to Phnom Penh. Most things as expected but miss good street food in Thailand. Food/dining seems to be a bit more complex than Thailand and have to take Tuk Tuk which really adds up. I rented motorcycles in Thailand but still a bit iffy about driving here. My problem right now is getting an apartment. I am tired of the hotel and it is getting expensive.I would like to cook my own meals and have my own food. The agents don't seem too reliable here, maybe because my price point is too low. I wanted to stay under $350 but the apartments are not attractive, especially the entryways seem so dark and you have to walk so far to the apartment itself. I just want a one bedroom, one bath apartment with natural light, furnished in the Riverside area. I know it is more expensive there but that is where many of my friends are. Do you have a good agent who could help me. I would consider other areas as well. I have a retirement Visa and want to stay one year here in Phnom Penh before moving out into the provinces. At least that is the plan for now.

Hello.

You have 2 problem areas:

You didn't discover the real PP food as you stay in the wrong place.
You want an apartment in the tourist area Riverside.

Give it a go at Russian market,  kind of lovely village inside a big city,  where you not only find safe apartments within your budget,  but also a host of restaurants,  coffee shops,  fresh bakeries and of course the market.  All of them on walking distance!

There is a great variety of street food,  and restaurants,  like Italian,  Greek,  Middle Eastern,  Indian,  Japanese,  Indonesian,  Thai and at least one great Khmer restaurant.  On top 2 vegetarian and 1 vegan restaurant.

It's all here in Russian market,  also ingredients for self cooking are abundant,  including shops with organic food.

So move your focus towards Russian market if you want to find the things you are looking for.

My advice.

Cheers

Joe

Thank you for the advice. My Khemer friends advice me to try Russian Market area as well. You both seem to have a good point. I just need to find one with a lift and I will be fine. I am very interested in Khemer food but my exposure has been limited. I always go native when I live outside my country if origin.not sure why I am having a difficult time here.

Hello, Salavan,

How are you?
I have heard that same disturbing news  again.
It is about the mandatory private health insurance for Thai retirement visa application/extension.
Just 2 days ago from the article of The Nation again.
This time, it came with the descritption of the time to take effect which  is July.
Even though it did not clearly state that the immigration & foreign department would support it.

This year, I have acquired multiple re-entry permit with  Thai retirement visa just in case.
It is for the research  trip  to Cambodia to find out the suitable place of  re-settlement.

Regarding the bank account opening in Cambodia:

Accleda Bank
Need to produce your passport and ordinary visa.
As well as your apartment rental receipt as the proof of your address in Cambodia.
And state that you are a retiree(if over 55 already).
They would not ask you for work permit if you say you are a retiree.

Phnom Penh Commercial Bank
Able to open an bank account even if your visa status is a foreign tourist without current Cambodian
address(therefore no apartment receipt needed in this case).

Keep in touch.

J.M.

HI guys, many friends of mine go to Cambodia they have cancelled Thailand because it's so expensive plus visa complications basically money money money, they swear by Cambodia, in fact, they all love it.

Hello, david,

Good to hear from you.

For many years, Thailand has been quite comfortable to me and many expats.
However, some stupid bureaucrats try to impose needless burdens on law-abiding foreigners here.
Instead of  inventing a reasonable sorts of health care scheme for both own people & foreigners.

If that mandatory private health insurance law is really implemented in any future,
I will immediately pack up and leave here forever.

I have exteneded my thai retirement visa 2 months ago.
And I am now planning to make a research trip to Cambodia soon.

In another country next to Thailand, we only have to be over 55 to be eligible for their 1 year retirement visa with multiple re-entry permit included without extra fee.

We have no reasons to stay on here if their  men in black no longer want us to stay on here.

Take care & keep in touch,

J.M.

Although I sympatize there is a big misunderstanding regarding mandatory health insurance for foreigners.

The health insurance issue is for people that apply for a one year visa at a Thai embassy abroad.

Expats live on an extension of stay which is not a visa.

So the whole mandatory health insurance is not applicable to expats living on an extension of stay,  like the extension of stay based on retirement.

Just to put things straight and take away unnecessary fear.

Cheers

Joe

just saw some guy on utube he said insurance had to cover 40,000 Baht Thai thats crazy most insurance covers 2 or 3 million dollars.

Hi Jack
        I don't know what visa your on but what Joe says is correct it's people that are applying for or to extend non Immigrant OA visas and yes its coming into force in July.
Mine is an o visa
I think the mandatory health insurance for OA is the start just to test the water so to speak before they apply it to all visas and extensions.
Interesting what you said about the banks I'm not sure how to take all funds out of Thailand and move to a cambodian banks I think there is no restriction on taking forign funds ie usd out of Thailand

Hi Salavan, I've often thought is it possible to transfer money out of Thailand via bank transfer? I'm not sure, what you could do is send via Western Union, however, if your money was sent from outside Thailand I can't see why you can't send it anywhere you want. Best bet open a bank account in Cambodia and try to send from Thailand if that fails, draw out in cash day by day, good luck, I would like to know how you get on, cheers Dave.