Name change process

Hi guys,

I'm Stephanie and new here! I'm from the US, my husband's from the UK, and we moved here to the Netherlands 2 years ago.

When we got married, it was back in the States in 2015, and for whatever reason, I didn't change my last name. My passport expired the same year, so I got a new one with my legal, maiden name. I didn't go through changing my legal name to my husband's last name while I was still in the States because I knew I'd be moving and traveling quite a bit, and didn't want to run into obstacles.

Now that we've settled here for 2 years and are planning on staying, I'm starting to look into changing my last name legally, but have no clue where to start. Most posts I find online aren't quite relevant to my situation, so I was wondering if any of you have had the same experience and can maybe point me in the right direction?

Extra information: I have an American driver's license that just expired last month, and I'm not bothered about changing my name on that since I'm not planning on returning to drive anytime soon (and I don't drive here). I have a Dutch residence card, plus an American passport that'll last me for another 6 or so years, so I guess those 2 are priorities for changing once I get the official name change through.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Not sure you will want to go down this route as what you've already done is very Dutch friendly and should you after 5 years in Holland wish to take Dutch nationality, you will end up with your maiden name again; having spent a great deal of time and money.  I'll explain in greater detail if you wish, but the end to the long explanation is that Dutch women don't take their husbands names.

Please come back to me if you have any further specific questions.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

Thanks for replying to me and sorry it took so long for me to get back to you!

I most likely won't be Dutch nationality, but the permanent residence route instead. Does that make a difference?

It's just a bit silly of me, seeing it's just a name and all, but I've been going by my husband's last name on Facebook so long and want to officially take it. But, if it's a hassle and I'd have to change it back, even with permanent residence, maybe I should reconsider and just be happy to be married  :)

The IND website says that on any Dutch legal documentation, you will always be known under your own surname, not that of your husband.  The residence card will link directly to your passport as being your means of identity and so you will have 2 different identities which have the potential to cause confusion.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, but I can't really advise you further as I have no experience of it, the only other fact I have is that my wife's (Dutch citizen) passport is in her maiden name (and has been through several renewals).

Short of somebody else in your position who has gone through this coming up with something more reliable, my advice is to go down to the Gemeentehuis and ask there, you can't be the only person who has done this.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team