Hi from Brisbane

Hi everyone,

My family and I, have 3 young kids under 10 years of age, and have decided that we want to move to Beijing for a seachange. 

I have lived in BJ previously a long time ago back in 2002, and while this change is exciting, we have to do a bit of research into jobs, accomodation, visas, schooling.

My kids are aussie, they don't speak mandarin, but the international school fees are so high... there is a big gap between them and the local chinese schools... is there nothing inbetween?

Lizan

My Chinese nieces have over 95 students in their public 1st grade.  One has Dyslexia but China is not geared up to recognize it or tailor teaching towards it.  Likely similar to what you saw in 2002.  Public school also costs money and can be tied to Houkou needing bribes to get some things done. 
You may want to consider home-schooling.  Chinese society does an extremely poor job of teaching Empathy. 
Private after-hours schools are everywhere for additional studying or training (such as in piano). 
A private tutor may be able to be hired for less than school cost and the eduction should be much better.