Is Crime a Problem where you are?

With the onset of the recent 'Peace' agreement, it left a vacuum, which is rapidly being filled by BaCrim (Crime Gangs), the consensus local to me is that crime is increasing rapidly, and having more direct effect on Locals than when FARC was around.

I can only talk for Copacabana where I live, and Bello where my Colombian family hang out, the crime rate is shooting up and little is being done to stop it.

We had a Public Meeting at the end of last week, supposedly with the local Commandant of the Policia Nacional, and the Secretaria de Gobierno regarding the rapidly deteriorating Security status, neither turned up, and we were left with a Subcomisario de Policia, who was totally out of his depth, apparently the current situation, is the fault of the Community, the Town Hall, The Mayor, the Secretaria de Gobierno, but not the fault of the Policia. Yet last week alone, nine local people were attacked and robbed walking down the mountain to catch the bus to work in the early morning, on top of that, the number of rural fincas broken into and robbed is sky rocketing. One man at the meeting said that he and his family has captured a burglar in their house, they rang the police, and the response was, what had he done to warrant police attendance!!!! The Police are a total joke.

Two days ago, I woke to find the road outside our finca covered in blood, it was reported to the Police who arrived two hours later, and on viewing our security footage, there had been a knife fight in the road, fortunately not fatal, whether any more will be done, especially if no complaint is made, I doubt it.

In the early hours of this morning, there was a shooting in Copacabana, less than 500m from the Police Station, and yet the people gave up waiting for the Police or Ambulance to arrive and took the victim to the hospital in a private car, where he was pronounced dead. Locals video taped the scene on phones, and sometime later a Police car arrived sirens blaring, they could have run there quicker!

Bello, the main problem effecting people are armed street robberies, and extortion, now it is not only business premises that have to pay protection money, but also individual householders, if they are not in a gated community, the laughable part is, you pay, and get no protection. The Police don't want to know, because many of them are either scared, or involved themselves.

The Local Authorities, have buried their heads in the sand, and deny there is a problem, because those who can make a difference, are not directly effected themselves, and rather stuff the local taxes in their pockets than help the people who put them in power.

Crime was not an issue for me, until recently, but living out in the wilds, it has become an issue, razor wire installed behind thorn hedging, alarms, and cctv installed, now it is just in  the lap of the gods as to whether we receive any visitors, even my Wife who was very blasé about it before, is worried. Until it effects your everyday life, you don't realise.

As far as the local situation is concerned, I can only hope that Law and Order will be restored (as far as it goes) in the not too distant future.

Met an American friend in Envigado. When he married a Colombian girl years ago she came with a finca. He lived there until 5 years ago. A couple of jerks with machetes paid them a surprise visit one day. Tied both of em up and robbed the house. One said to the other when they were finished "Do you want me to slit their throats"? The other said "No". They next day they left the finca for good and have lived in Envigado ever since.
He advised me that he did not want ever want to be a sitting duck again. I took it as very sound advice. Smart expat.
I don't like big cities myself but there are plenty of smaller centers in Colombia.
In my home country Canada, blaze orange will save my life in the woods. I'm not so sure in Colombia.

Alarms and CCTV will not be not enough for an aging Gringo and his young wife living at a finca in the woods .. if a gang with machetes decides to pick them for the next target.  Certainly not enough when finca attacks are skyrocketing in the area and workers are being robbed in broad daylight on the local roads.

Save yourselves. 

Get out. 

Find a new place in a decent, patrolled neighborhood or condo complex in a town or city .. and arrange for the finca to be sold .. or rented to Colombians.

Give up the struggle. 

Choose peace of mind.

Isolated rural living is a recipe for disaster for a peace-loving Gringo in troubled parts of Colombia in this época.

cccmedia in Ipiales, Nariño

alarms and cctv installed, now it is just in the lap of the gods as to whether we receive any visitors.

No, it's not.

You can be proactive .. and move to a safer place.

As far as the local situation is concerned, I can only hope that Law and Order will be restored
in the not too distant future.

Expecting a troubled part of Colombia to turn into Greenwich, Connecticut, or Appleton, Wisconsin, is not a credible strategy.

cccmedia

cccmedia... Thanks for the concern, but as a retired Cop, I know only too well that being in an Urban environment doesn't mean you are necessarily safer, just different problems, and to be honest you would find me hanging from the rafters if I had to move into town.
The matter isn't helped by the fact that the offender receives more protection than the victim, taking away the right to have a firearm, and if you have a legal weapon and use it, it is you that goes to prison rather than the offender. You only have to look at Article 32 of the Penal Code to see how the rights to Self-Defense are really vague.
I agree that if they want to get in they will. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Borderline