How to decide if your just homesick or ready to leave for good?

Hey, I'm an Australian teacher, been living in London for 3 and a half years. I absolutely love the culture and diversity of London. I'm a huge fan of the theatre, museums and arts.
I'm coming to the end of another school year and have been finding it hard for a while now, but can't seem to decide if it's home sick or that my time has been good but ready for a pause to go back to Australia. I'm not in the best position with work and fear that my decision to go back is being more to do with my job then anything else.
How do you decide between feelings of homesick and being ready to go back to your birth country?

Doesn't matter either way, so just ask if you're happy or not.
If not, consider your options.

If you're not happy, then you have to at least try and do something about it.  You mentioned your work is an issue; is it teaching in general, or just where you currently are?  Either way, you can do something about that, that doesn't involve moving halfway around the world looking for a solution that may not be there.

Personally, I was brought up in London and just don't see what people find so great about it nowadays; it's the people that make it what it is and believe me, it is nothing like it was 50 years ago.  I think that anybody who leaves Australia to move to modern day London needs there head examining; mind you, I could understand people leaving Townsville, that place was a dump when I worked there. :)

AlexLuke1234 wrote:

Hey, I'm an Australian teacher, been living in London for 3 and a half years. I absolutely love the culture and diversity of London. I'm a huge fan of the theatre, museums and arts.
I'm coming to the end of another school year and have been finding it hard for a while now, but can't seem to decide if it's home sick or that my time has been good but ready for a pause to go back to Australia. I'm not in the best position with work and fear that my decision to go back is being more to do with my job then anything else.
How do you decide between feelings of homesick and being ready to go back to your birth country?

Hi there.

It's a difficult one.. Feel for you. I think if you are happy in what you are doing and deep down feeling happy then stay. Its always your family, close ones who make you feel so homesick but its so hard to have everyone and everything at one place :(
The good is you can always go back..  Good luck in London x

Alex, Welcome to Expat..

" I have the option to go back home" is a rebellious and impressive phrase yet  knowing inside the you would not be here in the first place it if circumstances in TOTALITY were favorable there. 

I would like to add some remarks in addition to what has been said above by fred, cycic and dolfin, which is all very true.

a) As long as you have company of a few sincere persons around you ( not necessarily a relationship).

b) And as long as you are financially okay, making two ends meet and some savings does wonder to you morale and mood.  :)