Cooking like a local in Turkey

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in Turkey.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Turkey? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Turkey?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hay, Turkish kitchen is full of amazing dishes, the best for me are Adana Kebab and Eskander Kebab. I really wish to learn how to cook such dishes  :/

well most common and easy prepare dishes are

mememen (sounds like designed for only two guys :) there shall be a lot of recipies around internet. basically the main ingridients are tomato and egg peaman and onion can be added. something like omlet.

kuru fasulye (white beans) shall be soaked recommendedly from a day before for quicker cook.

karnıyarık (eggplant filled with minced meat)

we have some fish dishes as well like hamsi tava (anchovy), tuzda balık (big fish burried in salt and oven baked.

çoban salatası (shepherd salad) you can eat everyday tomato cucumber onion peaman cutted and dressing with salt olive oil and lemon juice.

you should try soups as well.

there are a lot more the good part of having these Turkish diches will help you to be localized. The main ingridient is tomato of course then eggplant olive oil comes after.

even i can arrange a cooking class at home in Etiler/istanbul if there are candidates since living alone. Anyone welcome. (room is available who willing to stay as well :)

cheers
isamu

The Turkish dishes are mostly full of too much oil and it's really better to cook for yourself. By the time I was there, I used to cook for myself. But they have good healthy fresh greens 🥗, fresh meat and fruits. And what is amazing is that they're a cheap. I miss  the chicken Donner 😂😂🤣.

i dont quite like the food here, its oily, i work in houses and most food they cook is with tomato, i think most of the food here is tomato base,
i like  the fresh ruits and vegetables
and their unlimited cheese selection though

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : off topic

Yes, you're right, about the oily food 🍲 😋😂, and they eat cheese a lot and that tasteless milk. What city do you live in?

please shut up if you do not understand and enjoy food!

I am in Alanya bit travelled almost all over Turkey. I love this county very much  :kiss:
You are in which part of Turkey?

Calm down, nothing bad about the Turkish food, it is very tasty but not much healthy. You find this in every county. We love Turkey and Turkish people are very good. For this we come to Turkey and invest here to enjoy.

Oh man 🙂, don't just tell people to shut up like as if they're kids here😏. Just let us know how to cook your local food so that people can enjoy the stay. If you also travel to another country, that's how you can talk about the food you come across to. If u go to China and find a well grilled dog meat, what comes to your mind first? 🤣😂😂🤣., I think is to hold your breath for a while. But there are those who enjoy it 😋😋😉. So it's a good idea that you have told some good recipes of the Turkish food 🍲, that's great✌️ .

Thank you, you are very objective :)

That's right Turkish people are good but not all, I Was living in Çanakkale, oh man that place was so nice and I hope still. I was there for one and half years and it's now three years since I left. Turkey 🇹🇷 is a good place if it finds u when you're not black mostly. But whenever I was passing people were calling me, maimun which I learnt later that it meant a monkey 🙊. When u do something wrong they say amanakwe. Which I think it was an abusive word but I failed to know what it meant. But anyway that's life 🐱😏

Ntambi yes turkish people are good and some are bad.
Calling you those names is as bad as somemen asking me "nikadar" when walking alone as if im selling something

😂😂 oh man, some guys are crazy in there,, but it's a good place mostly outside Istanbul, Çanakkale, Edrine and some other places where they don't see black people regularly. They can even start buying me bananas and asking me whether we have vehicles in Africa 😂😂. And there was a little girl who asked me if we sleep in houses in Africa😏😏🤔.