Advice on Budget

Hello all. I am a former expat who will be once again relocating (hopefully) to Las Terrenas in August. I have a young son who will be 1 year old at the time (single family income). I have been offered a teaching position making 30,000 pesos monthly without rent and I'm sure this is not enough to sustain us monthly. I have limited but other means of supplementing income, but wanted help with creating a budget.

if you have information on how much a maid/nanny would be 5 days a week
-what pay would you offer, what can I expect in terms of work hours/contract of someone

monthly food stipend with a mix of local and imported (mostly local, we eat 3x weekly) for groceries

purchasing a pasola costs and upkeep

monthly internet in home  in this area

health insurance

***lastly, I was told we could find a decent 2 bedroom for around 300-400 usd (decent meaning inversor, hot water, maybe even wifi included?)
-----what can I expect in terms of rent

how much more should I need to supplement (if anything). we are a simple family and don't require much so I can be flexible in certain areas. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Welcome to the forums.  30,000 RD without a supplement for housing is not going to do it.

Rent of US 300 is 14,700
Nanny full time maybe 8,000
Internet 2,000
Cell phone
Electricity
Food
Pasola
Health insurance about 3,600 for both

Food???
Entertainment
Clothing

Just my opinion without knowing exact costs in Las Terrenas

Hi dam2323

Sadly I do not think you could find out a decent 2 Bdr Apt in Las Terrenas for less than             US$ 600. I mean in a safe and clean environment, not to noisy, not to fat from the center.

As planner said :

Nanny full time maybe  8,000
Internet                             2,000
Health insurance about 3,600 for both
+
Electricity                           3,000
Cell                                      1,000 ?
                                            --------------
Subtotal                              17,600 = 353 US$

Food : 150 US$/week   :  600US$

TOTAL                             :  1,553 US$

(Pasola : unknown)

In my point of view, with less than this amount, it will be very difficult to make it, especially as you have got a baby.

It would also be better that you come with sufficient savings in case of emergency.

If you are a credentialed teacher who's native language is English, I would suggest supplementing your income teaching English online to Chinese students. The salary you have been offered won't be sufficient to live comfortably here, with a child.

First off welcome to the forum.
For what you are wanting you are looking at spending at least $1500- $2000 ( USD) a month  ($75,000 to 100,000 pesos) or more. LT is one of the more expensive places to live as a huge tourist trade there.

Bob K

Thank you all for the responses,this is quite helpful! 

If we plan on keeping our insurance in the states is it recommended we still have some there? Just wondering what benefits would be. Definitely seems like I'd need minimum double to be comfortable so I will have to figure some things out!

Not sure about your american insurance.

Your US insurance will not be accepted in most facilities here. 

Bob K

Thanks Bob. I knew you would know.

No problem.  A few will work with you but most just charge  you gringo prices that you have to pay and then you can file for reimbursement from your carrier. 

You should have local DR insurance if living here.

Bob K