Moving to DR onSocial Security with my Dominican wife: cost of living?

I'll be pulling in $4,500/month USD (this will be three years from now when I'm 70).  We will be in an out-of-the-way cottage near Las Galeras owned by her family and constructed over the space of 15 years with rent from the family living downstairs from us in our U.S. house.  It's quite lovely and won't need any further work, just maintenance.

We'll be buying a car (a one-time expense), and I don't have expensive tastes.  We will be paying for food (eating out only rarely), a maid, internet, I suppose we need car insurance.

In DOP I will be pulling in a little more than $3 million/year, under current exchange rates.  My Dominican niece (a lawyer in Santo Domingo) says that's pretty cushy.

I am aware that I have to certify in DR that I am on at least $1500 USD a year to qualify for residency.

I'd like to help my two children with their college loans.  How much can I spare in USD?

Thanks!

I suggest waiting until you are living here and seeing your actual expenses before making that determination. A lot can change in three years! If you don't already have medical insurance here, you won't be able to get it, or at least your options will be very limited. That could mean a higher monthly out-of-pocket cost for medical care unless you plan to keep your Medicare and get treatment and any prescriptions in the US.