Close

Varna

Hello:
My wife, who is from Sofia, and I live in the USA but are seriously thinking of living in Varna. Our pensions will go much further there than in Chicago. We are going to be in Sofia from May 19-28, 2018. In between, we may explore Varna as a possible place to retire. My wife speaks Bulgarian but I only speak Italian, Spanish and English, but willing to learn. Since we will have only a few days to explore, do you have any suggestions as to where in Varna would be good to either buy or rent if we settle there? We plan to retire in 2020.

It depends on what you are looking for. When I lived in Varna I lived in the most southern neighborhood- Galata. It is quiet, peaceful, has a few shops and a small supermarket, regular direct bus into the center. For me it was ideal.

I also recommend the next neighborhood up- Asparuhovo. It has a pleasant beach, several restaurants and cafes, more amenities (cell phone, internet shops etc). But again, it is somewhat quieter than the heart of the city (but just over the bridge from it). Also in that are is

Other than that, I would recommend looking north along the coast- Trakata and Vinitsa are both nice, although a bit more expensive than the southern neighborhoods.

My in-laws live on the west side of Varna, but it is heavily industrial and the traffic can be terrible most days, so I wouldn't recommend it as part of a relaxed retirement.

Thank you. We will check out those neighborhoods when we visit there in May.

On your way to Varna, you can take the southern route. It will be a bit longer, but you will have a chance to take a look at Plovdiv and Stara Zagora ... both are excellent alternatives to Varna, especially if you do not insist on the seaside.

Hello, I am born in Varna and lived there long enough to see how it's change. For a tourist destination may be good but the life there is very, very expensive . Apartment in a good city aria cost a lot, the food also.
After 5 years visiting town Elena near to Veliko Turnovo, we have a house here and left Varna behind. We have a nice house with big garden with fruit trees and vegies . here we found people from all around the world.
My advice is don't look only in Varna.
P.S my husband is American and that's why I decide to write you.
Greetings!

Hi Jim,

My wife and I are considering doing the same. We currently live in Hanoi where I teach at Hanoi Medical University. My wife is Russian; I'm a native Californian. Once you have had the opportunity to experience Varna, we would appreciate your feedback. Any advice would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Dr. David and Klavdiia Dutcher

Hi jim

We have a home in vinitza and have been going there for nearly 13 years.  We are now going to move there in July 2018 and will definitely be staying in vinitza.  It's a very nice part of varna and properties are a little expensive but it's worth it in the long run if you want your property to increase in value.   Hope this helps.

Thank you for sharing this. Very interesting.