Looking to retire in Phuket, Thailand :-)

Hi Folks
I live in Canada. Both my wife and I are 56 yrs old
I am an avid scuba diver
am contemplating cashing out my Retirement Pension while I still have my sanity, sell my house, settle my debts, move to Phuket and go diving every day
:-)
Am trying to join multiple forums to figure out cost of living in Phuket, housing etc

Any insight would be highly appreciated

Kind Regards
Shahrukh

Hi Shahrukh,

I only just joined expat.com and was wondering if anyone has replied to you? I wrote an article/blog recently on retirement in Phuket. It has a few typo's but has a bit of info. : )
***phuket-tropical-realestate.com/retirement-in-phuket/

Best regards,
James Kirby

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please do not promote your services on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

jana611 :
Don't do it. The risk of your coming to regret relocating to Phuket, is extremely high.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34346620

There are plenty of pristine scuba diving locations,...right there in the Americas. Costa Rica comes to mind, as an example.

Hi Jana,

I just read the article you posted. That certainly is a horror story, although he took some big risks. You can always rent in Phuket or purchase a foreign freehold condominium to be on the safe side. Costa Rica also sounds like a nice option but Phuket isn't bad like you think it is. I know MANY retirees here who are very happy.

BR,
James

Would be interested in continuing on the original thread as I am considering a similar prospect (moving to Phuket long term, but pre-retirement.)

Hello. No problem at all. Do you know information for visa's so you can stay here? Are you looking to work in Phuket?
Best,
James

I am only vaguely familiar with visa matters, yes will be looking for work prior to or upon arrival.

I would suggest finding a job prior to arrival due to needing to apply for a non-b visa before arrival at a Thai embassy. I did this in Dubai before I came here to work and makes it a lot easier, otherwise you would have to leave here to change visa because you can't change from a tourist visa while being here. siam-legal.com has a lot of information on visa types and requirements. There are also visas where you can stay for 1 year and study the Thai language.. maybe a good option and you could look for employment during that time? It is a difficult place to be able to stay long term unless you are over 50 years old or employed. Let me know if you have any questions. : )

Well I am living in Thailand next year from March as I have a favorable roster for my work which will allow me 2 weeks in Thai and 2 weeks at work.

I was always flying to Thailand for my time off anyway but am up rooting all my current life sold my car etc in Australia and ready for the move.

I have been looking at Rentals which will be your biggest expense.

Depending on how you want to live and location etc

What I have found is living comfortable 14,000 Baht Reasonable Condo 35SQm to 25,000 Baht 2 Bedroom Condo per month for rental - There are certainly cheaper options and also more expensive options.......
800 Baht for internet services and it looks like you will also get a SIM card with 20GB of data to use each month with AIS of course there are cable tv channels you can pay extra for etc
Electricity I have estimated for around 2000-4000 Baht I have probably over compensated but as long as I stay within my budget planning it just gives me money for something else.

which is approx 30K Baht per month on the more higher end budget of my findings.

Food is cheap when you know where to shop and do some cooking yourself occasionally.

I don't have visa issues as I will be in and out every 2 weeks but my girlfriend will get a Student visa and she will enrol in English lessons at a school in Patong so I think the VISA was 15,000 Baht for 1 year

And then the rest of the money you will require is for your leisure activities.

Thank you kindly, certainly food for thought.

In terms of sniffing out work (still at least one year away from arrival), not had much luck with only a couple of agents getting in touch with me from posting on relevant forums and the three big international schools not being interested. Stumbled across a University on the island from searching Phuket on Linkedin, but slow progress so far.

Hi shahrukh

My family do the rental business and we have costumer who came from Switzerland with his wife. They live here since 7 years ago and they planded to live for all live. I think it depend on your point to moving and living here. O this time it kind of difficult to making business beside for working on specific work. But it will be more easy if you are flexible and adapt you living. For living in phuket is not expensive as we have heard if you know where you should buy and go.

Retirement is time to spend times with your wellness and happiness. Take everything easy and choose where you love to live.

spestonji wrote:

Hi Folks
I live in Canada. Both my wife and I are 56 yrs old
I am an avid scuba diver
am contemplating cashing out my Retirement Pension while I still have my sanity, sell my house, settle my debts, move to Phuket and go diving every day
:-)
Am trying to join multiple forums to figure out cost of living in Phuket, housing etc

Any insight would be highly appreciated

Kind Regards
Shahrukh

Google this: cost of living in Phuket
You'll get several hits with monthly estimated costs.