Costof living in phuket

My wife and I have been holidaying in Patong for the last 5 years.
we are going to apply for a 1 year Thai visa in 2012,(the date we not sure of at this time). We are interested in staying in the Phuket area.On completion if things go to plan we want to  retire in Thailand. My question is approximately how much money is needed to live on in this area.

Hello john mercer and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will help you soon.

Harmonie.:)

Now that is a really tough question! it is so based on your personal lifestyle... But Phuket is expensive on average compared to anywhere else in Thailand.

phuket101, thanks for the reply.
Being a tourist area would be expensive, didn't think of that one. Maybe that's why so many ex-pats live up north.
We are leaning towards the areas we like are Nai Harn, Chalong and Rawrai districts.  (but keeping a open mind)
The area you live good ?
regards
john & debbie

A lot of expats seems to like the south... it's nice and has a good restaurants and lifestyle, and Nai Harn beach is really beautiful. Problem is the traffic at rush hour, it has become crazy, now if you don't need to go in and out at these time, it is a nice place to be. I live in Kathu which is more strategic to go to my office in town, takes me less than 10 mn some days :)
Willy

Willy,
we looked at a few places in the Kathu area which was in our price range. Then we drifted south, having said that as long as there's a pool we would be happy. At this stage we would like to be around ex-pats just for her piece of mind. Don't speak much Thai. WE are thinking of using a company called "Siamese visa" to set us up, have you a view about these company's
John & Debbie

John,
If you want to live where there are many expats, then you are looking in the right area. It is more expensive than the rest of the island. On the other hand, it has lots of shopping and a big variety of restaurants. I agree with Phuket101, the traffic in that area can be really bad at certain times of the day, it's one of the reasons we decided not to live in that area. We live in Kamala, on the west coast, and really love it here. It's much quieter than the Chalong area and less expensive, but far away from some things.

thank you lbfhaber,

We will give those areas a look (Kamala and Chalong). We have given ourselves plenty of time to make a final decision on an area to live.
regards john & debbie

I spent 6 months in Thailand and would average about 90,000 a month.

That got me an apartment with small kitchenette, living area, ate thai food 50% of the time and western 50% and 2-3 nights out a week.

thanks LivnallOver,
could you tell how much was the rent per month you were paying?
regards
john & debbie

I was paying 22,000 baht :)

thanks mate

John you mention using a company to obtain your visa.

Getting a visa is not rocket science and is something anyone can do themselves without having to pay a fee.

If you are 50+ and meet the requirements I suggest you obtain a type O-A visa for purpose of retirement before you leave your home country.  It will give you a full year without leaving Thailand.

Your price is abit on the high side for 90,000 a month.

I would say 30,000 is more than enough for a month stay living expenses....simple living :)

Hi  windersports,

Please note that this topic is from 2011. :)

Regards,

David.

David wrote:

Hi  windersports,

Please note that this topic is from 2011. :)

Regards,

David.

Oops, My bad.:lol: