Residence Permit with RES property

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions in regard to obtaining a residence permit when purchasing property.

I understand that if you spend over US$500k you automatically qualify for a residence permit.  Does this give you the option to then work in Mauritius or do you still need to obtain a work permit?

My second question is if you purchase a property for US$350k and then a second property for US$200k would this then entitle you to a residence permit or does it have to be a one off purchase of over US$500k rather than a combine purchase value?

Thanks in advance

Jackie

Hi.   
There is contradictory information out there but I am in the middle of this process and have found that the residence permit connected to my RES purchase does NOT allow me to work in Mauritius.

I don't know the answer to your 2nd question but my understanding is the property investment needs to be in either an RES or IRS scheme.

JDelorie

Thank you for your reply and I thought that might be the case.

Good luck in resolving your issues.

Jackie

You are not allowed to work. That having said, "work" is a full time professional engagement for a salary. I put this precision because some people assimilate 'doing business' as work.

With regards to property, it should be one acquisition of USD500k.

I think that you should send these queries to the Board of investment.