Finger Printing

Hello!
For Pensionado Residency it says

El registro de huellas se realiza en el Archivo Policial que se ubica en San José, frente al Centro Comercial del Sur, carretera a Desamparados. Debe solicitar una cita por teléfono al 2586-4146,
2586-4147 ó 2586-4149, llevar fotografías recientes y un recibo de agua, luz o teléfono. Se le entregará un comprobante que debe de llevar a Migración.

Two questions:

1. Is Centro Comercial del Sur's physical address Calle 17, San José, Costa Rica? Is this it?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1749967948401026&set=a.1242182092512950.1073741841.100001635129288&type=3&theater

2. Says you must bring in a receipt showing you are paying for water, electricity, or telephone, but I want to rent a place where that is all included in the price of rent. Can I just show my long term lease agreement or should I get one of those things in my name so I have that receipt?

Link to physical location of Finger Printing MSP. Trying to find out if this is the correct place to go for Interpol Finger Printing. Thanks!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Finge … 84.0641534

Most long term rentals don't include utilities.

Have you read all the 'ins & outs' regarding applying for residency? It sounds to me that you may have missed a few steps... :unsure

Approximate costs & fees when applying for residency.

The place I was looking for my Dad to rent includes utilities.

In the link you provided, the "Legal Fees" of $1250 is if you retain a lawyer, but they aren't required, right?

Here's what I found for requirements:

1.    Income Verification.

A letter from the pension administrator indicating that you receive at least $1000 USD per month. U.S. citizens on Social Security can obtain this letter from the United States Embassy Federal Benefits Office located in San José. You must make an appointment online since they do not take walk ins.

2.    Background Check. To do so you must provide a certification from your local police authority where you last resided.

3.    Birth Certificate. It is required to obtain a new copy of your birth certificate.

4.    Application - Formulario de Filiacion.

5.    Cover Letter. The cover letter contains some information about you.

6.    The fingerprints are obtained at a Police Department in San José.

This step is done in Costa Rica at the Ministry of Public Security. The applicant will be finger printed in Costa Rica and the prints will be checked with Interpol. You must take at least 3 photographs facing front.

Under current regulations you can only be fingerprinted after you have filed your residency application. Once you have filed you will have a receipt of filing and with that document you can go to the fingerprinting office for processing.

7.    Certified Copy of the passport. This means every single page from front cover to back. You will also require a very clear copy of the date of the immigration stamp when you entered the country.

8.    Consular Registration. It is required to register with the Consulate from your country.

For citizens of the United States the program is called the Smart Traveller Enrollment Program. Just register and print the form.
https://step.state.gov/STEP/pages/indiv … Start.aspx

9.    Six passport size photographs.

10.    Government Fees. Initially, it is required to pay $250 USD in application fees.

Fees

Application Fee    $50
    Change of Status    $200
    DIMEX    $125
    Security Deposit    $300
        CSS  Sliding scale of 6-12% of income
    Translation Fees +/- $200

Total: $935-995

Looks good!

You will be told when to go and get your fingerprints taken, as some have reportedly had them done prior to their application and some have  been told to have it done, nearer the end of the process..

I really suggest you use a lawyer, especially if you or your father don't speak Spanish since 'someone' has to be the contact person with immigration. Expect that  the application process may take a year or more....

Thanks!

How much time has your father spent in Costa Rica?  I wouldn't even think about residency until you've spent at least a few years here.  The list of people who think they've discovered paradise and then flee the country a year or two later is long.

cheekimunki30 wrote:

Hello!
For Pensionado Residency it says

El registro de huellas se realiza en el Archivo Policial que se ubica en San José, frente al Centro Comercial del Sur, carretera a Desamparados. Debe solicitar una cita por teléfono al 2586-4146,
2586-4147 ó 2586-4149, llevar fotografías recientes y un recibo de agua, luz o teléfono. Se le entregará un comprobante que debe de llevar a Migración.

Two questions:

1. Is Centro Comercial del Sur's physical address Calle 17, San José, Costa Rica? Is this it?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … mp;theater

2. Says you must bring in a receipt showing you are paying for water, electricity, or telephone, but I want to rent a place where that is all included in the price of rent. Can I just show my long term lease agreement or should I get one of those things in my name so I have that receipt?

This brings up the issue that probably only an attorney can answer these questions definitively, not someone on a forum. Things change from time to time and only an attorney who is up on residency applications will probably truly know the answer.

In my humble opinion, (and I know at least one person on this forum who touts "doing it yourself", and I guess for him it worked out well, so that's great!), one should use a residency attorney if one can at all afford it. The fee really isn't that much and in our case I know our attorney made it incredibly easy for us. We made exactly 2 trips to San Jose and the rest was done for us. The final step was here in San Ramon and they sent someone out to even help us with that! (And by help us I don't just mean the paper work, but getting us in and out quicker than others, etc.)

If I could help you with your specific questions I would be happy to but I cannot.

I just thought I'd give you my unsolicited advice which is to use a residency attorney, it will make your life so much simpler! And we got ours in less than 8 months!

And I hope, as most of us always say, that your father has spent some time LIVING here, not just visiting, before going for residency. I spent a LOT of time here (maybe 20 months in total, divided over many years) before moving here, and still, living here is a whole other ball of wax. One has to really learn to be patient and to accept that things are not at all the same here as in the states, when it comes to all sorts of issues, from buying groceries, to getting internet service, to going for the yearly RTV car inspection, etc etc. etc...

It's great for some people, and not so much for others. One really needs to not only do one's "research" re living here, but ALSO get a good amount of practical experience.

He hasn't. He has been wanting to go since the '90s and we do have friends who are there. They have nothing but great things to say about it. So we're optimistic.  :D

Thank you for the advice. I am facts gathering at this point. I wanted to see what the forum's experience has been. I think I may get a lawyer; it's a safer bet.  :top:

That said, can anyone recommend a good lawyer with good English skills?  :)

Roberto Umana, he has obtained residency for many people in our development r***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Mail has been sent to the poster through private message.

If your friends "... have nothing but great things to say about it" I would say, that's not the norm, as it nice but definitely isn't Shangri La. Montezuma is  remote and not near many of the conveniences he may want or need.

Really suggest he visits first, as what attracted him in the 90's,  'is no more'. ...except some of the old hippies. :top:

Wherever he lands is a homebase for him to explore around and see what best suits him.  :)

kohlerias wrote:

If your friends "... have nothing but great things to say about it" I would say, that's not the norm, as it nice but definitely isn't Shangri La. Montezuma is  remote and not near many of the conveniences he may want or need.

Really suggest he visits first, as what attracted him in the 90's,  'is no more'. ...except some of the old hippies. :top:

Ditto!  Another one of your posts I would soooo agree with.   :thanks:

- Expat Dave