Exploring Retirement Abroad

We are Vern and Tammy.  We live in Battle Ground WA.  We are we a couple who will be retiring in several years and would like to live abroad.  We will be retired from DOD/Goverment service and have questions on how to do this with our US Healthcare, US Citizenship how to handle paying taxes.  We will rent versus buy and wanting to  live in an area that is slower paced and where we can continue our involvement as Rotarians. We love the mountains and ocean and more mild climate. We are not set on any particular country or area as we have so many questions. We want to live off about $4000 USD a month including all housing and food expenses etc.

I have lived in Spain as active duty in Rota and thoroughly loved it. We're looking for a quiet village with no tourist excitement.

We are looking for input on how to narrow down the where and how so that we can put a formal plan in place.

Thank you

Vern and Tammy

I too am retiring in a few years and because of my association with Spain,  is my 1st choice.
I enjoy history, travel, beach and mountains.  Almunecar has my interest now, I'll be visiting there in June.
I will have the sierra Nevada's as a backdrop andthe beach in front of me.
The best of both worlds.
My suggestion is to visit your potential areas for retirement.
Blog with others living in those areas to narrow your town/village that suits you.

here is a link to a PDF with the various requires and the procedure you have to go undertake to live in Spain.
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados … ntVisa.pdf
Goodluck.

We will be visiting the areas that are of interest to us as we get closer. However first we have questions about healthcare, expenses, and banking and such. I think once we figure out the best country ww will then narrow down the area and village.

However we do want to thank you for your response and suggestion. If you think of anything else please forward it along to us.

Thanks....