Living in Sur oman as a doctor

Have been offered a job as a doctor gynae in sur.i have two daughters aged 12 and 8.please tell me about the schools and whether the move is worth it

Well ...to your limited point on School --- there is an Indian School Sur apart from an International one (Hay Al-Sharooq International School) ...and some more.

as for the 'worth' - it would depend on what you would consider worthy !

All the best

Thanks for your reply.Yes, i understand my question was not specific.My children are in an international school with IB curriculum here.They have english as compulsory first language and french as the second language.the indian school sur is cbse with hindi as compulsory second language and the international school has arabic as a second language.The point is that its not that i dont want my children to know these languages but they have really not been able to cope with hindi and very happy studying french.So, it will be a big burden for them to pick up hindi or arabic as a fresh language.The renumeration offered is decent but when i meant worth it was is relocating there still a good idea or should i try and be somewhere central like muscat.

Well , you seem to have done your homework well . You do have the objective information. So school appears to be a handicap to begin with .

I shall not try to dwell on your professional enhancement etc ....as I am sure, like the school, you have also gathered enough input.

Now, given your profession, which would keep you away for considerable hours - have you planned for someone to be at home for the kids? Some employers do sponsor visa's for help - did you check on that? If the accommodation and workplace are close by ....the quantum of this issue may get diluted.

In general, I can say , life here has much less hassles than what we face back home. The ease with which you will avail the basic services may be of some comfort . For example, if i book a gas cylinder on my way back home, the guy might be there before I have reached home.

Life is slow paced .....very slow paced ...irrespective which city you are coming from.

If you have very specific questions, and if i have  parallel  exposure, shall certainly share mine.

All the best.

oops I glossed over the last line of your mail. Apologies.

Obviously if you have  Muscat as place of work, you are gifting yourself with many more options ...both on the school front as well as every other aspect of 'living'.

that should be a no brainer.

Best wishes

Thanks for the detailed answer.Weighing the pros and cons for now i have decided not to accept the offer.If anything else comes up will surely reach out again for help.

Sur is one the most calm and tourist attractive places in Oman, if you ask me much better than Salalah, one that people rates as the best in Oman. Most of the scenic attraction of Oman are within 50-80 kms from Sur. I have lived there for 2 years for a project till later half of 2014.

Its not much of city like Muscat. Sur is a sea side township with decent amenities and facilities such as schools, hospitals shopping. hotels etc, but not much of local activities for an expat other than site seeing around. If you are one who prefers a calm place, Sur is an ideal place and for a change you can visit Muscat on weekends, which is just 1.5 hours drive (200 Kms)

Oops just saw your replies about schooling. Yes that is a concern, unless you stay in Muscat for better schooling options for your kids, in which case you will have to travel daily to Sur for work, which i wont recommend.

Muscat - Sur drive is an awesome one in the day time. But no that great at night. You may feel like you are the lonely rider on the road, and to add to worry, there are no places to take a stop in case of emergency (such as for a break down repair)  other than a much smaller township called Quriyat.

Any ways you have made your decision not to choose the offer. Good luck.

Thanks for the info ..for now due to lack of gòod school suitable for my kids have refused the offer .

Hi guys.
My wife has got an MOH job in oman.
We do not know our posting city yet.
How is sur for gynec job in moh ... any idea

Are there good pediatric private posts which i might find in sur to work along wid her...