Sending a car to Tunis

So if we relocate we would like to at least send a car to tunis. I understand I cannot bring a vehicle without paying a hefty tax, but for my husband who is a Tunisian citizen, can he bring a car? I was told he could bring one car as long as it's 3 years old or newer. Is this correct? Are there any restrictions on the type of vehicle? We are looking to bring a family car for only personal/private use. Thanks!

Your husband has definitely the right  to import a car (may be two) if he traveled with his Tunisian passport and spent at least 2 years abroad. A complicated, but sure administrative procedure should be done. The car must be touristic (private, familial/not commercial). But he also has the right to import a truck if he establishes any kind of company (not difficult). You as well might be eligible to bring a car as a foreigner legally resident in Tunisia if you fit some other conditions.
I advise you to visit the web site of the Tunisian Customs, but unfortunately the English section is still under construction. I assume your husband speaks French and Arabic
http://www.douane.gov.tn/

All the best
Brahim

Thank you so much for the helpful info. One other question the cars must be no more than three years old?

Thanks again

Yes it was obligatory that the car is should be under 3 years old, but It was extended to 5 years with some special conditions.

Regards
Brahim