Figuring this out....

Hello everyone,

I spent a duration in Brazil and ultimately overstayed last year. Although I had payed and have documentation of getting the extension prior to the default while there was told upon leaving that I needed to pay a fine, but wasnt able to having no money available (issues with my bank).

During the travel home to Boston I had lost my passport. I've since obtained a new passport but not a new visa to go back to Brazil. I'd like to go back shortly as I've been away from my fiance since March of this year.

I was wondering how I actually pay the afore mentioned fine, or if I have to at all. I will be applying for a new tourist visa this week and would like any information as money is tight.
I don't want this to negatively affect my visa process or anything else.

Any information and help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Joshua

Wandersboston

Since you getting another visa I would inquire at the Consulate about the fine also. As far as the visa you may be able to just get the original one replaced. It would be a shame to pay a lot of money for something you will not need after you get married.

Jim

wandersboston,

I don´t think the Brazilian consulate in your area knows anything about your fine of overstaying.

So, granting that you´re given a new tourist visa, you just have to brave the possibility
that you´ll be fined upon entrance to Brazil. You have to make some provisions of cash to pay that up.

There was a recent change on the amount per day to be charged for overstaying. I´m sure someone in this forum can tell you.

I´m not sure if you can pay by credit card. I once paid taxes on items I brought into Brazil with my debit card but not with a credit card.

Good luck!

robal

Robal

I wasn't telling him that the consulate would know about his fin, but they may be able to direct him in the right direction.

Jim

Wandersboston. After you resolve your visa issue, which I still advise trying to replace the old one instead of getting a new one. Of course, I would opt for the least expensive. When you get to Brazil you will be taken to the bank to pay your fine if they decide you owe one. You won't be able to enter Brazil until it is paid.

Jim

jland912,

I know that you knew they don´t have the information if he has a fine or not. I was thinking that you were advising him to ask about the new fine per day of overstaying
just in case he is fined during his entrance back.

The bank/s of course will be located outside the immigration check area but is/are within the airport lobby...

robal