Keeping in touch while living in Ethiopia

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Ethiopia? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Ethiopia? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Calling back home is not very expensive. It's actually cheaper than my home country. The only problem here is inconsistency. There are times when phones are blocked by officials and you can't call outside Ethiopia neither can you text. They will also block Internet aswell so communication becomes tricky. That has happened 3 times from the time I came to Ethiopia in May. The first time I remember exams in schools where taking place and the reason I hear they block all phone networks was because the last time they had exams there was alot of leakages being sent out using whatsapp. Hence Internet being blocked for the whole period of the exam. Now you can imagine how inconveniencing that is. Then also, you could send a txt message and be charged but it would not reach its intended destination.

International calls from mobile and landline is very costly in Ethiopia.
we use skype or voip call through internet.